Director of Middle School Youth Ministries
• Classifications: Full Time, Program Staff, Exempt
• Reports To: Associate Minister for Education
• Evaluation Due: Annually by Associate Minister for Christian Education
• Supervises: Lay volunteers
• Staff Liaisons: Middle School Leadership Team, Quest Council
The Director of Middle School Youth Ministries oversees and implements all aspects of education and programming for youth in grades six through eight. This includes, but is not limited to planning, conducting, and evaluating all aspects of programming. The Director of Middle School Youth Ministries will be the voice for both the needs and the faith development of youth. The Director will work in conjunction with the Directors of Children’s and High School Ministries to provide effective leadership and direction to the overall education program.
Four-year college degree, preferably certified in Christian Education. Strong organizational skills necessary. A willingness to recruit volunteers. A personal faith and an ability to articulate this faith to youth and their parents. An ability to relate to youth and their families. Excellent communication skills. A hospitable person, who will welcome visiting and member families alike into the ministry.
An understanding of youth developmental and cognitive abilities, resulting in developmentally appropriate curriculum and program design. An ability to work well with parents and other staff members. An interest in broadening parent and member involvement in the youth ministries program.
Duties and responsibilities:
The Director of Middle School Youth Ministries is responsible for education, pastoral service and fellowship programs for middle school youth including:
• Helping maintain a healthy spiritual life including Bible study and prayer
• Working with the Associate Minister for Christian Education and volunteers, within the vision of Covenant’s youth ministry, to ensure a holistic and complete youth ministry that flows in and out of the many transitions of the lives of young people
• Building healthy ministry relationships with youth and their families, young ministry volunteers, the congregation, staff, Charlotte community and the wider church
• Appropriate pastoral care for youth and their families (and making proper referrals to pastors or other qualified professionals when necessary)
• Communicating regularly with the Associate Minister for Christian Education, youth and their families, staff and congregation
• Serving the congregation and youth with “energy, imagination, intelligence and love.”
• Staffing 6th, 7th and 8th grade teams for Sunday school and fellowship, including oversight of curriculum and program development, consistent with our overall youth ministry vision
• Helping plan and attend middle school and Quest retreats, conferences and mission opportunities
• Developing opportunities for small groups among the 6th, 7th and 8th graders to maintain and expand our middle school ministry
• Working along with the Children’s Ministry Director and High School Youth Director to ensure a smooth church transition from elementary to middle school to high school ministries
• Affirming young people as unique children of God and empowering them to use their gifts for God’s glory
• Helping to ensure the on-going spiritual growth of adult volunteers: through training, resources and encouragement
• Identifying gifts in youth and adults. empowering and challenging them to use those gifts for God’s glory in worship and the wider church
• Providing budget oversight and management of the Middle School and Quest budget along with the leadership teams
Requires sitting, some bending, stooping, stretching, standing and lifting up to 30 pounds occasionally. Requires hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a PC, photocopier, calculator, and other office equipment. Requires normal and/or correctable range of hearing and vision.
Work in office environment, involving contact with staff and the congregation. Work may have deadlines, multiple interruptions, high volume and may be stressful at times.
This list is not intended to be all-inclusive. The employee will also perform other reasonably related business duties as assigned by your supervisor.
Send cover letter and resume to: [email protected]