Kayak Technician (Seasonal/Part-time)
Catawba Riverkeeper was founded in 1997 as the 21st waterkeeper organization in the US. Now part of an international movement that boasts over 400 local organizations, we preserve and protect the waters of the Catawba-Wateree River Basin for generations to come. Our 5,000 square mile river basin includes over 8,900 miles of waterways.
Catawba Riverkeeper is a community-focused organization supported by more than 6,800 members and volunteers located throughout a 26-county river basin that dedicates time, talent, and treasure to ensuring the protection of our collective river basin. Our professional staff of 12 and volunteer board of 18 guide the work of this passionate group of people.
We accomplish our mission in three primary ways:
• Through ongoing environmental efforts, we PROTECT our river basin via enforcement resources, scientific fieldwork, and citizen action.
• We ENGAGE and EDUCATE guests through a wide range of public facing experiences through recreational and educational programs to foster passionate individuals that advocate and engage on behalf of their waters.
Starts at $12/hr. + tips
Kayak Technicians (Kayak Techs) are responsible for being the face of the organization through kayak experiences offered to the public. They execute kayak programs from set-up to breakdown through high-quality service while educating guests about the area’s waterway and the mission of Catawba Riverkeeper. There may be cross-over opportunities to support the retail locations behind the bar and Education programs as available.
• Manage location-specific set-up to execute efficient kayak operations
• Communicate kayak program overview consistent with that program’s standard operating procedure
• Engage guests about the area’s waterway, local community and mission and current activities of the organization
• Ensure proper collection of paperwork and payment either inside on of our locations or on-site as appropriate
• Lead basic kayak instruction and ensure that each guest feels comfortable getting on the water
• Educate guests on proper use of gear and basic water safety
• Assist in guest water launches and possible on-water retrievals
• Facilitate equipment loading and unloading
• Responsible for maintaining and cleaning equipment as needed
• Maintain accurate equipment inventory and guest head count at location
• Assist Kayak Operations Manager on Duty and Kayak Guides as needed
• Assist in guided tours around our basin
• 16+ years of age
• Have a valid driver’s license
• Passionate about educating, entertaining, and sharing the work and mission of the Catawba Riverkeeper organization to the community
• Comfortable speaking to a wide range of people and customizing communication accordingly
• Time management skills: committed to a two-week schedule notice and consistent attendance
• Ability to maintain an organized and detailed workflow with changing variables
• Ability to make quick and authoritative decisions and remain calm in potentially tense and/or chaotic situations
• Comfortable working autonomously as well as working in a team environment
• Job training provided before your first day of work
• Active CPR/First Aid Certification. We offer courses throughout the year
• Available to work seasonally: April through September
• Availability to work weekends: shifts primarily occur on Saturdays and Sundays with some weekday kayak programs
• Must be willing to support programs and events hosted at any location
• Ability to work in outdoor settings under various weather conditions
• Must have reliable personal transportation
• Must be able to lift at least 50 pounds with frequency throughout the day