Director of Community Engagement
If this was a traditional job posting, it would start by saying we are looking for a Director of Marketing. Instead, this is a conversation with experienced marketing, media, and communications professionals who want to leverage their career experience and make a deeper connection with our community by creating content that tell the stories of Tosco Music as our Director of Community Engagement.
What is Tosco Music? Well, Tosco Music is many different things.
• We are a well-established nonprofit organization that is part of the Charlotte arts landscape, and our culture is all about connecting musicians with audiences to bring our community together
• We do this work with our outreach programs, by creating job opportunities for local musicians, by hosting monthly open mic nights, by bringing performances to senior centers, and by providing music scholarships that help young people and adults expand their talents
• We produce the Southeast’s largest celebration of The Beatles, FabFest, where Fab Four fans of all ages come together for a weekend in Charlotte
• We are best known for our Tosco Music Parties, an inclusive celebration of the power of music, where undiscovered artists and nationally recognized acts share the same stage, and where we encourage audiences to raise their voices together as one through our tradition of singalongs
Tosco Music’s mission is powered by volunteers and donors who are truly passionate about what we can do together. We are led by an engaged board that is dedicated to being representative of our community, and we are guided by a staff that is experienced in creating memorable experiences that build community through music. Artists are at the core of all we do, and we embrace all genres of music, because all are welcome at Tosco Music.
That is a little bit of who we are, but who are you?
Perhaps you are a newspaper journalist or a television reporter. You could be a content creator for podcasts or social media. You might work at an ad agency. You possibly do marketing for nonprofit arts organizations. Whatever your background, you could be an ideal match for us if…
• You are excited to tell the stories of an organization that is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and you are respectful to others in all that you do
• You are an innovative self-starter and have a strong collaborative work ethic
• You have organizational skills and are both highly detail-oriented and proactive
• You can attend to multiple areas of responsibility, while still meeting target goals and objectives
• You not only have the ability to adapt to changing situations, but you also have a sense of humor
• You have excellent oral and written communication skills. Extra bonus if you are great at proof-reading
• You not only love talking with people, but you love learning about them
• You are a confident and creative problem solver with the ability to think critically and make informed recommendations for process improvement
• You know how to develop and manage budgets
• You are comfortable developing and managing relationships with media representatives
• You have at least 3 years of marketing and communications experience, including digital marketing and social media management
• You not only have Microsoft Office skills but are also familiar with Adobe Creative Cloud applications
• You can create digital and social media content and have experience with desktop video editing
• You have used Google Analytics and Meta Pixel to both track and understand online engagement
• You know how to send communications through Constant Contact or equivalent email applications
• You have a bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience
In much the same way that our founder John Tosco helps artists and audiences feel both welcomed and seen, you want to bring people together by sharing stories that celebrate them. On a team that combines programming, marketing, development, and operations, you know how vital it is to collaborate, much like playing in a band. You enjoy being a part of changing things for the greater good, and you are looking to make a change for yourself that gives you a better career/life balance.
Ready to change things up?
If this sounds like you, visit toscomusic.org to read the position description about this potential new verse in your life. In addition to 15 paid time off days and 10 paid holidays, compensation in the range of $45,000 – $55,000 will be offered for this full-time, exempt position, depending on experience.
Tosco Music is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in its work and staff. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable state or federal law. Tosco Music encourages candidates of all groups and communities to apply for this position.