Student Nurse Extern – Nurse Aide
Interested in working in an organization that will support your career development and readiness for practice? The Greater Charlotte Student Nurse Extern Program provides an opportunity for clinical experiences in a supportive environment for a successful transition from student to registered nurse.
The Nurse Extern assists in providing patient care under the direct supervision of the Registered Nurse. Assists in maintaining a clean, safe patient environment and performs job responsibilities in a safe manner. Maintains clinical and professional competencies as appropriate to the needs of the patient population served.
In addition to completing the application, please complete the survey in order for your application to be directed to areas that match your interest.
• Supports patients/residents with activities of daily living
• Assists patients/residents with personal hygiene
• Takes vital signs and height and weight measurements
• Feeds and ambulates patients/residents according to specific procedures
• Maintains patient/resident’s rooms in a clean and orderly condition
• Observes and reports changes in patient/resident conditions
• Orients patients/families to unit and instructs patient on safety measures
• Assists with clerical work such as, including answering phones, entering data and maintaining medical records
• Maintains stock supply items in inventory management
• Performs duties as outlined in the scope of Nurse Aide II (per North Carolina Board of Nursing Nurse Aide II Tasks List)
• Perform technical tasks with appropriate training such as administering a 12- Lead Electrocardiogram test and routine venipuncture
Work requires walking, standing, sitting, lifting, reaching, bending, stretching, stooping, pushing, and pulling. Must be able to lift and support the weight of 35 pounds in handling patients, medical equipment, and supplies. Must speak and understand English in good understandable terms. Must have manual and finger dexterity. Physical abilities testing required.
Education, experience and certifications:
High School Diploma or GED required. Currently in good standing in Registered Nurse academic program required. Successful completion of Junior year or equivalent at the time of the Nurse Extern program required. Current listing with the DFS Nurse Aide Registry as a Nurse Aide I prior to start date required. Current listing with the North Carolina Board of Nursing as a Nurse Aid II prior to start date required. Current American Heart Association Basic Cardiac Life Support HealthCare Provider certification required.