Oversees the safety, security, and proper functionality of Discovery Place, Inc. exhibits, facilities, and grounds. Provides direct oversight to building aesthetics and manages all essential services required for optimum performance of building, exhibits, and security-related systems.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
Exude model behavior that fosters the culture of the organization by:
• Continually maintains an outwardly positive demeanor toward coworkers, subordinate staff members, and visitors
• Maintain a team-oriented approach and can-do attitude
• Assist other departments in their responsibilities when help is needed
• Display flexibility in an ever-changing environment
Responsible for planning, coordination, and management of all day-to-day activities related to facility and exhibit maintenance and operations, support systems, and grounds including:
• Properly open, close, and secure the facility daily
• Ensure the highest standards of cleanliness and appearance for the facility
• Provide direction to the janitorial account manager and/or crew when necessary
• Perform continual daily walkthroughs of the facility and immediately addressing any issues identified including, but not limited to exhibit experiences, painting, carpet, and lighting
• Being apprised of all building-related codes which the facility must follow
• Ensure that all OSHA, ADA, fire regulations and/or other building codes meet or exceed standards
• Work with other departments to ensure that all back-of-house areas are neat, orderly, and clean
• Enforce and follow company policies and procedures
• Ensure the proper functionality of all building-related systems including, but not limited to HVAC, electrical, and lighting systems
• Manage the process for the safe and proper delivery of the parking deck Pay Station Note Safe and Pay Station Reports as required
• Manage and update departmental files and archives
• Coordinate and manage the replenishment of dollar coins for customer change in the parking deck pay station
• Oversee the proper and most efficient usage of energy and other resources
• Coordinate and implement all activities related to special events or exhibits
• Coordinate all relocation, or disposal of equipment, furniture, or supplies by other departments
• Ensure the timely and proper delivery of all incoming and outgoing mail packages
• Manage weekly vehicle inspections and maintenance process for all fleet vehicles
• Perform other tasks as directed by the Director of Facilities or other senior staff members
Responsible for safety and security-related tasks and issues including, but not limited to:
Ensure that all fire, burglary, and security systems are operating properly and optimally.
Manage key, access card, and parking card controls to ensure the security of Discovery Place, Inc. buildings, parking garages, and its assets.
Maintain first aid, cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), automated external defibrillation ( AED) certifications
Exercise good judgment, quickly addressing, and directing appropriate actions in emergency situations.
Minimize injuries, theft, and related problems through foresight, appropriate actions, and communication.
Obtain and maintain incident reports and witness statements for all injuries, property damage, or other incidents which warrant documentation.
Respond to security and other after-hours emergencies.
Ensure the safety and security of corporate property, employees, and guests.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
Education and experience:
Bachelors degree (B.A.) from a four year college or university; or two to four years in Facility Maintenance experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Directly supervises five employees in the Building Services Department. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics. Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Meets challenges with resourcefulness.
Project Management – Follows policies and procedures; consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time. Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; Coordinate projects; Exhibits confidence in self and others; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events. Communicates changes and progress; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills. Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Balances team and individual responsibilities; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives. Develops workable implementation plans; Delegates work assignments; Sets expectations and monitors delegated activities; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks.
Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings. Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
Quality Management – Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness. Sets and achieves challenging goals; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality; Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly. Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
Judgment – Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions; Develops innovative approaches and ideas.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft Word 2003 or later word processing software; Microsoft Outlook 2003-word processing software; Microsoft Excel 2003 or later spreadsheet software spreadsheet software and Internet software.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to work in high, precarious places; outdoor weather conditions; extreme heat (non-weather) and risk of electrical shock.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision, Distance vision, Peripheral vision, Depth perception and Ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear.
Employees of Discovery Place should uphold the mission, vision and values of the organization. We create positive change in our communities through our four core values: (1) science leads us, (2) equity drives us, (3) integrity guides us, and (4) innovation energizes us. We value the diversity of opinions and intellectual thought and encourage an environment where employees can share ideas openly.
The foregoing description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities of this job. Other duties may be assigned. This job description may be changed to include new responsibilities and tasks or change existing ones as management deems necessary.