Walker Construction is a small, family-run business that specializes in high-end residential renovations. We are a general contractor that specializes in self-performing a large majority of the work. We are looking for a full-time, multi-skilled assistant carpenter that has a desire for the skilled trades and an interest in all phases and stages of construction.
An employee in this position performs a variety of carpentry and construction tasks requiring the use of hand and power tools. Work involves moving construction materials, supplies, and tools, site protection and cleaning, light demolition, framing, minor drywall, waterproofing, finish carpentry, miscellaneous punch items, trade coordination, and project management.
Employees must be conscious of safety methods to avoid injury to others and self. Employees are subject to hazards in construction work including working in both inside and outside environments, in extreme hot and cold weather, and exposure to noise and dust. Work is performed under regular supervision and reviewed while in progress and upon completion to determine that proper work methods and our high standard for quality are being followed and that assignments are carried out correctly.
• Operates a variety of hand and power tools including, but not limited to, miter saws, table saws, circular saws, jigsaws, reciprocating saws, biscuit joiners, planers, and oscillating/multi-tools
• Performs all aspects of carpentry including rough, finish, cabinetry and trim installation
• Performs a variety of different construction tasks on a daily basis
• Sets up site protection including zip walls, plastic barricades, paper and Masonite on floors
• Cleans job sites on a daily basis including sweeping and vacuuming
• Loads and unloads construction and finish materials including but not limited to dimensional framing lumber, plywood, cabinetry, and tile
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
• Possession of a valid North Carolina driver’s license
• Attention to detail
• Ability to read, understand and execute detailed drawings
• Proficient in the use of hand and power tools
• Ability to measure accurately
• Rough and finish carpentry skills
• Ability to resolve field issues as they arise
• Ability to seek and humbly accept feedback from all directions
• Multitasking abilities
• Build and improve upon a systematic approach to all types of projects
• Maintain timely and professional communication internally and with clients (accurate, proactive, good grammar, diplomatic)
• Must be able to physically perform the basic life operational functions of climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, and performing repetitive motions
• Must be able to perform heavy work exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally; and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently; and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects
• Must possess the visual acuity to operate power tools in a safe manner and to inspect work quality
Desirable education and experience:
• Graduation from high school and experience in construction work; or an equivalent combination of education and experience
• 3-5 years experience in a skilled construction trade and/or construction project management experience
• Compensated at an hourly rate with overtime pay
• Opportunities to work overtime frequently
• Dental, vision, accident, and life insurance
• Paid time off (PTO)
• Free Lunch Fridays
We are a drug-free workplace with a no smoking policy. Employment at will.