Marketing and Communications Manager
If you are ready to work for an organization with an expansive vision and the power to improve people’s lives in Charlotte, then Sustain Charlotte invites you to join our team. At Sustain Charlotte, we believe in the power of storytelling, advocacy, and people to create needed and lasting change.
Sustain Charlotte is seeking a full-time Marketing + Communications Manager on a contract-to-hire basis. Someone who is a wordsmith, loves social media, and is committed to furthering smart growth and sustainability in Charlotte. This role is integral to effectively communicating Sustain Charlotte’s mission to inspire choices that lead to a healthier and more vibrant community for generations to come. To achieve our mission, we focus on three key strategies:
Educate – We educate the public about the value to our community of sustainability and how it is achieved, including the best ideas and practices from other cities around the country.
Engage – We provide opportunities for increased public engagement in the discussions and decisions that determine our future’s sustainability.
Unite – We unite citizens, businesses, nonprofits, public agencies, and academic institutions to develop shared visions, goals, and strategies for a sustainable region.
• Write, edit, and manage content for Sustain Charlotte’s social media channels, website, electronic newsletters, and other external collateral
• Develop and analyze our communication strategies to assess who we are targeting, if it reflects a racially diverse audience, and how to expand our messaging to be racially inclusive
• Be intentional about the content we share to ensure we incorporate diverse perspectives into our communications with our members and supporters
• Work with colleagues to develop press releases, written statements, opinion editorials, and letters to the editor to actively place Sustain Charlotte’s messaging and policy positions in the media
• Develop and maintain familiarity with Sustain Charlotte’s projects, focal areas, advocacy issues, and strategic plan to develop engaging, informative, and innovative ways to communicate our work and engage audiences
• Ensure that Sustain Charlotte branding is consistently and accurately represented at all community and member touchpoints and for all communications and publications
• Maintain an organized archive of all communications collateral
• Lead the design of an annual communications plan, calendar, and department budget
• Work closely with Sustain Charlotte Event Manager and staff to successfully execute monthly events
Qualifications and required skill set:
Five or more years of experience in at least a mid-level communications role
Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, graphic design, or work equivalent
Impeccable project management, communication, and writing skills
Experience with Asana or other project management tools
Experience with social media ad campaigns
An eye for detail and the ability to follow directions and execute feedback
Ability to vision, strategize and implement from start to finish on projects
Experience with WordPress and CSS, HTLM experience desired
Excellent visual design and typography skills desired
Experience working with a non-profit organization desired
Compensation and hours:
• The rate of pay is negotiable and commensurate with experience
This is a 40-hour/week contract-to-hire position; after an initial three-month contract period, and if both parties agree, employment will be offered with the following benefits:
• 50% medical insurance paid, and vision and dental plans are also available
• 3% Simple IRA company matching contribution
• PTO beginning at three weeks per year
• 11 paid office holidays
• Reimbursement for employees who commute to the office by bike, scooter, or transit
• Sustain Charlotte supports a flexible work schedule and prioritizes work-life balance. Most work will be performed during weekdays. Some weekend or evening hours may be required
• Our flexible schedule allows staff to work from home and at our office at 1100 S. Mint Street, Charlotte, NC. This position requires working from the office at least one to two days per week
Qualified applicants should email a cover letter and résumé to [email protected]. The email subject line should say “Marketing + Communications Manager.” In your submission email, please let us know specifically where you heard about our job opportunity (e.g., Sustain Charlotte email, personal referral, a specific job website name, etc.).