JazzArts Charlotte, formally Jazz Arts Initiative, is a Charlotte-based nonprofit arts organization committed to connecting community and developing an audience for jazz through quality education, performance, and musician support. Established in 2009 by co-founders Lonnie and Ocie Davis, JazzArts strives to serve as a catalyst for cultural enrichment and music education that brings creative inspiration to the lives of people in the Charlotte region. Since its founding, JazzArts has grown considerably to include two primary programmatic offerings: The JAZZ ROOM, a 4-6 performance monthly concert offering in uptown Charlotte taking place on Friday and Saturday nights, and JazzArts Academy, comprised of workshops and ensembles, camps and community engagement in local schools. Earned revenue from the JAZZ ROOM coupled with contributed revenue fuels the JazzArts Academy, which provides jazz music education for thousands of students annually.
The Marketing Director is a key leadership role that will continue to propel the work and visibility of JazzArts Charlotte by providing to develop and implement our marketing strategy. They will report directly to the President and work closely with the Development Director and associated board committees on audience development and promoting the organization.
The successful candidate will possess a strong work ethic, believe in the organizational mission and business of JazzArts Charlotte, have a hospitable spirit and a high level of professionalism under all circumstances. This candidate will also be a data-driven, motivated self-starter who is well organized, creative, and experienced in managing a variety of tasks with excellence in sales and audience development. This ideal candidate will embrace diversity and equity in all forms, have a love for JAZZ music, history, and culture.
JazzArts Charlotte presents many programs, including the monthly JAZZ ROOM concert series over a single weekend, with the occasional signature event, festival, and JazzArts Academy performance events as well. The Marketing Director will be required to attend these programs in addition to daily duties. This is a non-exempt ¾ -time position (30 hours/week), not including scheduled events and programs. This is a hybrid position (mainly remote with in-person engagement as needed).
• Drive organizational earned revenue through the design, implementation, and management of comprehensive marketing strategies and campaigns for JazzArts programs/activities, execute marketing tactics
• Work closely with all JazzArts Team Members to meet organizational goals
• Provide short- and long-term market forecasts and reports by directing market research collection, analysis, and interpretation of market data
• Develop marketing strategy by studying indicators; tracking changes in supply and demand; identifying audience segments and their current and future needs; and monitoring the local, regional, national markets
• Understand and develop budgets, including expenditures, return-on-investment and profit-loss projections
• Manage the Marketing Calendar for all JazzArts programs
• Ensure all campaigns and messaging carry JazzArts branding and message consistently, delivery fulfills goals and standards of JazzArts Mission
• Develop and maintain relationships with community partners, including promotional and media partners and stakeholders
• Promote JAZZ ROOM shows and JazzArts Academy programs in print, radio, online, and social media
• Work with and manage JazzArts marketing staff and intern(s) on communication strategy/activity
• Oversee development of all print items, including programmatic advertisements, merchandise and signage
• Manage communication and incentives for patrons and supporters
• Create and survey data, and report on trends of JazzArts supporters and patrons
• Create and execute JazzArts Newsletters, correspondence via Constant Contact/ Active Campaign
• Grow JazzArts organizational brand and visibility through innovative marketing strategies
• Other duties, as appropriate
Qualifications and requirements:
• Minimum 4-year undergraduate degree, preferably in Marketing, Business, or Public Relations
• At least 5 years of marketing experience and 2 years working experience in an arts, education, and/or business-related field
• Data-focused, with impeccable organizational skills and attention to detail
• Analytical mindset with ability to connect strategies with tangible outcomes
• Excellent writing and proof-reading skills; professional, friendly, and timely email and phone communicationskills. A working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
• Strong understanding of qualitative and quantitative research methods; past performance in uncovering insightsas well as areas of opportunity for growth (audience and revenue)
• A strong personal commitment to the JazzArts Charlotte mission and vision
• Knowledge and appreciation of Jazz artform, and history a plus
• Energetic collaborator skilled in building, facilitating, and maintaining relationships with key JazzArtsstakeholders and partners
• Strong leadership with the ability to develop, implement, and manage creative campaigns
• Excellent organization, inter-personal and communication skills
• Significant experience managing multiple, complex projects with changing priorities; able to think creatively,prioritize multiple tasks, and work effectively under pressure within a team environment to meet deadlines.
• Empath with compassion with the desire to celebrate diversity and fosters creativity and inclusion
• Interest and ability in work with diverse groups, including team members, Board, volunteers, artists, parents,community partners, and donors/supporters.
• Computer applications: Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook), Altru CRM, Canva, Active Campaign, AdobeIllustrator or Adobe Photoshop a plus
The Ideal candidate will:
• Always be in pursuit for knowledge and able to work in an ever-changing environment
• Be an innovative thinker that thrives in collaborative team settings
• Have a high degree of professionalism, integrity, warmth, emotional intelligence, sense of humor, flexibility andmaturity
• Have a passion for jazz and demonstrated commitment to advocating for cultural diversity
JazzArts Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in its work and staff. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable state or federal law. JazzArts encourages candidates of all groups and communities to apply for this position.