Rebuilding Together of Greater Charlotte (RTGC) is a 501(c)3 nonprofit with a mission of repairing homes, revitalizing communities, rebuilding lives. RTGC brings our community together to address the affordable housing crisis, mobilizing contractors and volunteers from across the region to complete projects that make homes and communities safer and healthier for our neighbors.
As an affiliate organization of Rebuilding Together, RTGC has strong networks and support from other affiliates and the Rebuilding Together national office. Currently, in a phase of rapid growth, RTGC is working to strengthen and expand our repair programs and community impact, and the Construction Lead position is an integral part of that work. The Construction Lead is a full-time salaried position that reports to the Construction Manager.
Direct repairs (60%)
• Complete direct hands-on repairs, including but not limited to rough/trim carpentry, grab bar installation, wheelchair ramp/landing installation, minor electrical and plumbing repairs, interior/exterior painting, flooring installation, demolition, and weatherization
• If contractors or skilled-trades volunteers will be utilized to complete a portion of work on a home, coordinate with these individuals to plan the work, and ensure a high quality of work is completed within the timeline of the project
• Oversee general volunteers in completing direct hands-on repairs. Ensure that volunteers are trained in their task and have access to tools/materials, that proper safety procedures are being followed, that the work product is of good quality, and that volunteers enjoyed and feel appreciated for their service
• Where possible, encourage and support volunteers to safely try new construction tasks and build their skill sets. Educate homeowners about the repairs that were completed and any new or recommended home maintenance
• Conduct on-site volunteer orientation, including history of affiliate and community, site/tool/neighborhood safety, homeowner biography, and project work scope
Programs and project management (35%)
• Document and/or verify all expenses, in-kind donations, and hours worked for projects
• Assist with purchase and delivery of crucial project needs, including tools and materials, personal protective equipment, dumpsters and other rented items, water and snacks
• Assist with logistics through pulling, staging, stocking, and delivery of construction materials as well as keeping the warehouse organized
• Monitor and update project status with the Construction Manager
Programs administration (5%)
• Participate in staff activities such as staff meetings, program meetings, or strategic initiatives as requested
• Support fundraising activities and events as requested
Knowledge, skills, and abilities:
• At least two years’ experience in the construction industry, preferably remodeling
• Knowledge of building products, construction details, and relevant codes, regulations, and quality standards
• Basic computer skills with Microsoft Word, Excel, and use of the internet and email
• Ability to serve with and for a diverse community and staff
• Solid interpersonal skills and ability to make connections and build relationships with volunteers
• Well-organized, detail-oriented, self-motivated, flexible
• Ability to work with diverse clients, volunteers, and staff to create a friendly, helpful atmosphere
Physical and other requirements:
• All RTGC staff members must show proof of vaccination to be eligible for employment
• Must be able to navigate an active construction site, including climbing stairs and ladders, standing, lifting, and carrying for extended periods of time over difficult terrain
• Must be able to lift 50 pounds on a regular basis as part of their responsibilities to complete direct hands-on repairs and assist with the delivery of tools and materials
• Must be available to work occasional Saturdays, especially during April and October
• Valid driver’s license and driving record to allow the use of affiliate-owned or rented vehicles or trucks
• Comfort backing up a vehicle with a trailer (or willingness to learn)
Compensation and benefits:
This full-time exempt position. Starting salary range is from $40,000-$55,000 annually depending on experience. RTGC offers health, dental, vision, and life insurance, paid vacation, holidays, sick leave, matching 401k, and other competitive benefits.
Please submit a resume to [email protected].
Rebuilding Together of Greater Charlotte will provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, age, disability, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, ancestry, political belief or activity, or status as a veteran.