Hiring Range: $43,529 – $55,339
Salary Range: $43,529 – $65,181
Pay range includes supplemental $2/hour premium pay incentive. More information on premium pay will be provided to candidates during the interview process.
Performs intermediate landscape and turf management work in the design, layout, care and maintenance of Town properties and turf.
An employee in this class performs specialized work in land and turf management and in assisting the Landscape Superintendent in designing landscape installations, selecting and installing plants, and maintaining Town grounds, parks and facilities. Work includes mowing, turf aeration and planting. Work requires an applied knowledge of turf management, flowering plants, shrubs, and trees, as well as herbicides, pesticides, fertilizers and other chemicals. An employee is exposed to inside and outside environmental conditions, extreme temperatures, noise, vibration, work hazards associated with grounds maintenance work, and fumes, odors, dusts, mists, gases and oils. Work is subject to the final OSHA standards on blood borne pathogens. Work is performed under general supervision by the Landscape Superintendent and is evaluated through observations and conferences.
• Responsible for horticultural maintenance activities
• Oversees staff assigned to horticultural activities and projects
• Provides turf maintenance for parks and grounds including aerating, seeding, fertilizing, planning and maintaining proper drainage, weed control, mulching, irrigation, and mowing
• Plans, schedules, and supervises the maintenance of beautification areas
• Plants trees, shrubs and flowers
• Maintains flower beds, trees, and shrubs
• Maintains irrigation systems in bed and turf areas
• Applies appropriate chemicals and fertilizers, maintains accurate records, and follows all federal, state, and local regulations
• Make purchasing recommendations for horticultural budget to Landscape Manager
• Maintains equipment
• Follows all safety practices
• Chooses and applies a variety of herbicides, pesticides and other chemicals
• Maintains knowledge of best practices and trends in turf management and landscaping techniques
• Assists with design recommendations and installs approved landscape designs; identifies and obtains necessary plants; leads and participates in pruning, edging, planting, transplanting, fertilizing, spraying, and general care of plant and trees
• May serve as project manager for construction of landscape and beautification areas; purchases, plants, flowers, shrubs, trees and related materials and supplies
• Works with garden, civic, and other clubs or organizations on tree planting and flower gardens
• Participates in setting up and cleaning for Town festival and with snow removal.
• Performs related duties as required.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities:
• Knowledge of landscaping and horticulture methods and techniques
• Knowledge of the hazards of floral, tree, and shrub maintenance work and appropriate safety precautions
• Knowledge of the species of grass, flowers, shrubs, and trees grown in the area, their planting, time, propagation, and soil requirements
• Knowledge of pesticides, herbicides, and other chemicals used for maintenance and their safe and effective applications
• Knowledge of the occupational hazards and related safety precautions
• Knowledge of organizational purchasing and budgeting policies and procedures
• Skill in the use of landscaping equipment and tools
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with peers, supervisors, and the public
• Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written forms; ability to write reports and maintain records
• Ability to respond to the public in a courteous and tactful manner
Physical requirements and education:
• Must be able to physically perform the basic life operational functions of climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, lifting, fingering grasping, feeling talking, hearing, and repetitive motions
• Must be able to perform heavy work exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects
• Must possess the visual acuity to prepare planting designs, to operate landscaping equipment, to read and prepare reports, to perform building maintenance and cleaning duties, and to determine accuracy, neatness and thoroughness of work