Payroll and Expense Specialist
Processes payroll, payroll taxes, and associated government reporting, including bi-weekly processing of payroll for 250+ employee multi-state full service real estate company and all corporate employee-related expenses and reporting.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
• Responsible for the complete payroll process using Paylocity Payroll Software and reporting for a multi-state environment, including exempt and non-exempt employees. Accurately interpretating and applying payroll tax laws
• Carefully and accurately reviewing timecards, entering multiple bonus types, garnishments, and FMLA/STD/LTD/PTO/Parental Leave/State Disability or other time away from work for compliance with established standards
• Processing all payroll items related for new hires and terminating employees, computing PTO payout and accrual rates
• Reviewing all payroll reports before and after each processing to ensure accuracy, correcting incorrect items, including doing manual checks, etc., before an employee is affected; conversing with tax filing department at payroll provider to ensure their awareness of void/manual checks
• Reviewing wage and overtime calculations, recording payroll deductions, posting changes in pay and tax status, and miscellaneous changes
• Demonstrating full understanding of employee benefit taxability to ensure proper input into payroll system; e.g., moving expenses, etc
• Accurately interpreting and applying state and federal wage and hour laws: exempt v. non-exempt
• Assisting with ACA 1095-c benefit coding and IRS/employee filings
• Completing Wage Verifications for child support, garnishments, or other reasons, as requested
• Reviewing quarterly tax reports to ensure accurate filing by payroll provider, following up if needed
• Works with Human Resources on the following:
• Ensure annual HSA and FSA limits are adhered to for employer and employee contributions and proper agency check setup. Creating HRA reports and tracking each pay period, and providing FSA allocation report summary for rebilling
• Ensure proper 401(k) and benefit earning and deduction changes throughout the year
• Track STD/LTD/Parental Leave/all Leaves of Absence (FMLA, Non-FMLA, etc.). Calculating and inputting proper pay categories during leave. Assisting with catch-up earnings and deductions upon employee’s return, if applicable. Coordinating with STD/LTD carrier payroll tax recording and reporting. Aligning state tax setup to ensure compliance with state-mandated leave programs; coordinate, if necessary
• Compensation surveys and provides information for compensation statements, as needed
• Handling reporting for property payroll re-bills each pay period; posting payroll journal entries, researching payroll cash transactions
• Reviewing workers compensation reporting and reconciling to payroll reports; reviewing and updating workers comp annual exposure workbook for renewal at year end. Providing workers compensation analysis and requisite reporting to workers compensation carrier
• Providing various payroll information/reporting as requested including, but not limited to workers compensation reports, budget forecasting, census reports, etc. • Completing of government or vendor forms and reports, as needed
• Reviewing and auditing year-end and W-2 data to ensure accuracy. Notifying Accounting and HR of needed items for W-2s, follow up to ensure timely input for W-2 printing
• Managing full responsibility for year-begin process, including working with HR to ensure accurate PTO transfer
• Ensuring supervisors are trained and understand how to accurately keep track of their employees’ time and proper input to complete accurate timesheets. Serving as point of contact to establish direction and answer all questions on PTO accrual, payroll checks, timecard access, Paylocity App setup, how data can be accessed, etc. from employees. Continually educating on payroll reports and system processes for full understanding of each. Attending ongoing training to stay current on payroll products, employment laws, various state tax laws, and benefits
• Other duties and responsibilities assigned
• Responsible for all monthly corporate employee expense reporting including out of pocket reimbursements and corporate visa business card transactions, facilitating the Concur Expense Management software
• Carefully reviewing each monthly, employee prepared, out of pocket and/or corporate card expense report for accuracy of expense type, amount, proper receipt attachment, comments, etc. and works with the employee on any noted corrections
• Printing reports and receipts, GL coding, and copies necessary reports and receipts for rebilling. Entering charges into an Excel batch and Visa payment details into a payables batch into Yardi AP software. Matching report and receipt copies to invoices and scans to Corporate Controller for distribution
• Assist Corporate Controller on electronic invoicing storage
Knowledge and critical skills:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Bachelors degree preferred; high school diploma or GED required
• 5+ years of payroll experience, preferably using Paylocity payroll products
• Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) or other payroll certifications preferred
• High level of proficiency with Excel and other Office products
• Strong attention to detail required
• Strong knowledge of state and federal wage and hour laws and payroll tax requirements required
• Self-directed and works well independently
• High level of confidentiality, and ability to work with sensitive information
Physical demands and environmental factors:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Works in office setting.
• Moves about to coordinate work.
Critical features of this position are described under the previous headings. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. This job description does not list all the duties of the job. You may be asked by supervisors to perform other non-essential assignments and duties. You will be evaluated in part based upon your performance of the tasks listed in this job description.