The company behind trophies we’ve seen in popular award shows now calls South End home.
What’s happening: Society Awards, a 15- year-old custom award-making company recently moved from New York to Charlotte.
- They created or enhanced a number of trophy designs for popular awards shows like the Emmys, Billboards, BET and MTV awards.
- Soon some of the notable awards can be seen from the window of their new office, which is currently under renovation, in Atherton Mill next to Not Just Coffee .
Context: Founder and CEO David Moritz, who has a love for design, recently moved here from New York.
- He tells Axios designing awards wasn’t always the plan. Actually he started out in entertainment law, but was always interested in art, fashion and design. He decided to create a luxury award brand.
- “I had to create a category, you know, that doesn’t exist,” Moritz said.
Why it matters: Out-of-town businesses increasingly want to call Charlotte home.
By the numbers: 19,900 new jobs have been created here since the end of Q1 of this year, according to the Charlotte Regional Business Alliance.
- “We absolutely love the talent pool here,” said Moritz, whose company is hiring at its new Charlotte headquarters.
Between the lines: Local companies have also received awards Society Awards has created.
- They designed the Platinum Crushie award Sycamore Brewing received this summer.
- Moritz says some local sports teams have also reached out to them to create awards.
- “This isn’t exclusive to celebrities,” Moritz said. “It’s for anyone that can get an iconic work of art that can be passed on for generations.”
- Of note: Society Awards doesn’t do its manufacturing in Charlotte; that’s handled at its Oklahoma facility
Details: The company’s address is 2000 South Blvd, Suite #620.
What’s next: There’s a chance that people could see all of these popular awards in one place at some point in the near future.
- Moritz wouldn’t disclose an exact location, but he says his vision is to have a place in the city where everyone can view some of the popular awards on display by next year.
Read Next Story