Police Officer – Lateral/Certified
Hiring Range: $47,772 – $60,793
Salary Range: $47,772 – $71,644
Pay range includes supplemental $2/hour premium pay incentive. More information on premium pay will be provided to candidates during the interview process.
Hiring Bonuses Available!
All new hires selected for eligible positions will receive $2,000 on their first paycheck. Those who have relevant job experience and/or military experience are also eligible for up to $3,000 more (total payout available – $5,000)
More information available during interviews and in the onboarding process.
Minimum Standards for Police Officer Employment with the Town of Matthews
With our ultimate goal of keeping our city safe, The Matthews Police Department is dedicated to attracting, recruiting, training and developing employees who meet and maintain our strong hiring standards. As such, applicants who have a history of unethical or immoral behavior will not be hired.
Applicants for the position of Police Officer must meet minimum standards set forth by the Department of Justice- Minimum Standards for Criminal Justice Employment. Background will be looked at very closely and all candidates offered employment will be subjected to an intensive background evaluation. Minimum criteria for employment include, but are not limited to:
• Must be a citizen of the United States
• Must be at least 21 years of age
• Must be a high school graduate or have passed the General Educational Development Test indicating high school equivalency
• Must possess a valid driver’s license along with a safe and responsible driving record
• Veterans must provide proof of military service (DD-214). If currently in the military, the applicant must provide a letter from the military indicating ETS date
• Must be of good moral character
• Have successfully completed Basic Law Enforcement Training and passed the BLET state exam (or be able to obtain NC BLET certification)
An interview by the Department head and/or designated representatives to determine such things as the applicant’s professional appearance, demeanor, attitude, and ability to communicate.
A clean and responsible criminal history with no convictions of:
• A felony
• A crime for which the punishment could have been imprisonment for more than two years
• Acrime or unlawful act defined as a “Class B misdemeanor” within the five-year period prior to the date of application for employment
• Four or more crimes or unlawful acts defined as “Class B misdemeanors” regardless of the date of conviction
• Four or more crimes or unlawful acts defined as “Class A misdemeanors” except the applicant may be employed if the last conviction occurred more than two years prior to the date of application for employment
Upon receipt of conditional offer:
• Must be fingerprinted and a search made of local, state, and national files to disclose any criminal record
• Must be examined and certified by a licensed physician or surgeon to meet physical requirements necessary to properly fulfill the officer’s particular responsibilities
• Shall produce a negative result on a drug screen
• Have administered, a psychological screening examination by a clinical psychologist or psychiatrist licensed to practice in North Carolina, or by a clinical psychologist or psychiatrist authorized to practice in accordance with the rules and regulations of the United States Armed Forces within one year prior to employment by the employing agency to determine the officer’s mental and emotional suitability to properly fulfill the responsibilities of the position
• Patrols streets in a police car, on a bicycle, or on foot; checks doors and windows; examines premises of unoccupied residences or buildings; detects unusual conditions, may maintain surveillance and observation for stolen cars, missing persons, or suspects; reports dangerous or defective streets, sidewalks, traffic lights or other hazardous conditions
• Responds to calls for assistance, complaints, suspicious activity, domestic disputes, loud and disruptive behavior; completes calls by determining true nature of the situation and taking whatever legal or persuasive action is warranted
• Investigates traffic accidents; issues traffic citation; directs traffic and participates in other emergency operation activities
• Performs investigations of accidents or possible crimes through observation, questioning witnesses and gathering physical evidence; performs investigative tasks; arrests and processes criminal suspects; presents findings in court
• Issues citations for violation of traffic regulations; serves warrants; apprehends and processes criminal suspects and transports to County magistrate and/or County detention facilities
• Regulates and directs vehicular traffic at busy times at local schools and when traffic signal malfunctions or accidents require
• Operates a two-way radio to receive instructions and information from or to report information to police headquarters; maintains vehicle, weapons and other equipment in standard working order
• Monitors adherence to parking ordinance and issues tickets for violations
• Prepares records and reports of activities
• Advises the public on laws and local ordinances; serves papers as needed
• Assists stranded motorists; gives information and directions to visitors and the general public
• Performs related tasks as required
Knowledge, skills, and abilities:
Some knowledge of police methods, practices and procedures; some knowledge of the geography of the Town and location of important buildings; some knowledge of the rules and regulations of the Police Department; ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions and to prepare clear and comprehensive reports; ability to deal courteously but firmly with the public; ability to analyze situations and to adopt quick, effective and reasonable courses of action with due regard to surrounding hazards and circumstances; skill in the use of firearms and the operation of an automobile; ability to operate personal computer including some knowledge of applicable software packages; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and the general public.
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school.
Physical requirements and education:
This is medium work requiring the exertion of 50 pounds of force occasionally, up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects; work requires climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, and repetitive motions; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word, and conveying detailed or important instructions to others accurately, loudly, or quickly; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels, and to receive detailed information through oral communications and/or to make fine distinctions in sound; visual acuity is required for depth perception, color perception, night vision, peripheral vision, preparing and analyzing written or computer data, visual inspection involving small defects and/or small parts, use of measuring devices, operation of machines, operation of motor vehicles or equipment, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities; the worker is subject to inside and outside environmental conditions, extreme cold, extreme heat, noise, vibration, hazards, atmospheric conditions, and oils. The worker may be exposed to bloodborne pathogens and may be required to wear specialized personal protective equipment.