PR and Social Media Manager
The PR and Social Media Manager is vital to implementing the organizations communications strategy, helping to drive brand awareness through great press coverage and engaging content. Responsibilities include maintaining media lists, pitching stories to media, supporting social media communities and developing marketing communications plans to reach our target audiences.
As part of the Discovery Place marketing team, you will ensure that all media engagement activities are in line with the organizations overall marketing and branding strategies.
We are looking for a strategic thinker with excellent writing and communication skills. Experience working in PR and social media management is essential as well as a Bachelors degree in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing or a related field. Bilingual Spanish is a plus.
Duties and responsibilities (approximately 80% Public Relations; 20% Social Media):
• In conjunction with the Director of Communications, lead the development and execution of the organizations public relations strategy
• Field media inquiries and interview requests
• Actively pitch stories to media and cultivate relationships with key print, digital and broadcast journalists and influencers
• Analyze and report on media coverage
• Collaborate with marketing team to ensure media and social media campaigns and concepts are aligned with organizations mission and support marketing objectives
• Develop marketing communications material, including brochures, flyers, etc.
• Draft press releases, blogs, eNews content and other PR communications as required
• Evaluate opportunities for partnerships and advertising
• Attend community meetings as a brand ambassador for Discovery Place
• Submit calendar listings for upcoming events, exhibitions, etc.
• Distribute marketing materials, including postcards, rack cards, etc.
• Undertake small research projects when required
• Organize media previews and other marketing events and activities
• Develop talking points for management and employees as required
• Assist with crisis communications as required
• Keep a pulse on social media trends and platforms that offer new ways for the organization to reach audiences
• Work with Director of Content and Social Media to engage audiences across traditional and new media platforms
• Monitor organizations brand and reputation on social media
• Proven work experience in public relations
• Confident communicator and presenter
• Full understanding of media needs and media relationships
• Proactive, reliable and accurate with attention to detail
• Exceptional writing and editing skills
• Tactical understanding of all primary social media platforms
• Event planning experience
• Excellent organizational and planning skills
• Self-motivated with a positive and professional approach to management
• Ability to work some evenings and weekends, as workflow requires
• Bachelor’s degree in public relations, marketing, communications or related field and/or experience
We are currently working in a hybrid model. This position is in the office several days a week, with opportunities for remote work. This is not a remote-only position.
Ability to travel to our four local museums occasionally, with limited other travel.