Tacos el Flacko is a new family-owned food truck opening in South End.
Co-owner Nason González describes the tacos as “auténticos” (authentic) and “hechos con amor” (made with love).
Why it matters: At 21 years old, González is a second-generation food truck owner in Charlotte with his brother (23) and sister (19). The siblings say they are opening the truck, in part, to honor their father’s legacy.
Flashback: González’s father, a Mexican immigrant, opened a trailer called “Taqueria Los Tres Potrillos” on the corner of East Sugar Creek and North Tryon in 2003.
- “He started that food truck in hopes to have a better life for our family,” González said.
- González, who is expecting a baby of his own, says he’s doing the same for his growing family.
What to expect: Traditional Mexican tacos, not Tex-Mex. “No frills, no crazy stuff … how they are back home in Mexico,” González says.
- Tacos El Flacko will serve breakfast and dinner Monday-Sunday.
The breakfast menu: It’s based on the breakfast their mom made them growing up, González says. They’ll have $2.50 breakfast tacos, calabacita (cut pumpkin with egg and cheese), beans and cheese.
- To drink, there will be aguas frescas (Mexican fruit juice), Champurrado (Mexican hot chocolate) and café de olla (Mexican coffee).
“This is dedicated to our mom who always made sure we were fed in the mornings before school,” González says.
The dinner menu: For dinner, they’ll serve tacos de carne asada (grilled beef), al pastor (pork), carnitas (braising pork), chorizo (pork sausage), pollo asado (roast chicken) and campechanos, a traditional Mexican dish made with flank steak, chorizo and chicharrónes (pork rinds). They’ll be served with homemade salsa and guac.
- To drink, you can order Jarritos, Mexican Coke and Topo Chico.
- Dinner is served 5:30-10pm.
- Tacos are $3.50 each.
Details: Tacos el Flacko will have its soft opening Monday, Oct.3- Thursday Oct.6.
- Find them at 2321 South Blvd., in the parking lot of South End Auto Inspection.
- On Friday, Oct. 7, they’ll be at NoDa Brewing Co. for Food Truck Friday.