The local owners of Byrdie Golf Social Wear aim to elevate women’s golf apparel.
With one-pieces, classic pleated skirts and delicate floral patterns, Byrdie’s head-to-toe golf gear is designed to take customers from the course to cocktail hour.
- With thousands of golf fans flocking to Charlotte for the Presidents Cup this week (Sept. 20-25), you’ll likely spot spectators in Byrdie attire at Quail Hollow Club.
Flashback: Charlotteans Rachelle Williams and Hayden Shoffner started Byrdie during the pandemic. “We were playing golf every day because it was the only thing to do during COVID,” Shoffner told Axios.
- They grew up on golf courses but as they spent more time on them in recent years, they noticed a lack of functionality in golf attire.
- Byrdie’s clothes are designed so women can “go play 18 holes … and pack a kitten heel and throw this on for dinner,” Shoffner said.
Zoom in: Byrdie is a business dedicated to Williams and Shoffner’s upbringing, from the name (a nod to Williams’ grandfather, nicknamed “Byrd”) to the designs (inspired by clothes worn in their grandmothers’ old photographs).
- “We both had really chic grandmothers,” Shoffner said. “My grandmother always had red lipstick on and big gold hoops on the golf course.”
What to expect: Modern takes on vintage designs like puffy sleeves, floral patterns, Peter Pan collars and fun hats. Williams and Shoffner are purposefully straying away from the commonly seen long navy skorts and plain collared shirts that lean more on the sporty side of fashion.
- Some of their best-selling items include the Hayden dress and the Caddie Suit. Their Fall line is inspired by the Presidents Cup and they’re hoping to see spectators sporting the Byrdie Club rope hat.
- Prices range from $12-$295 for socks, hats, polos, dresses, skirts and other accessories and apparel.
- Right now you can find Byrdie apparel at Charlotte Country Club’s pro shop. Come Spring 2023, you’ll find Byrdie at pro shops across the country.
- They don’t plan on opening a brick-and-mortar any time soon but you can make an appointment to try on clothes at their Park Road Shopping Center office via email: [email protected].
- This Thursday they’re having a trunk show and cocktail hour in celebration of the Presidents Cup. For the address, DM them on Instagram or email [email protected].
- 704 Shop has T-shirts for sale that’ll also be available at the tournament.
- Glory Days Apparel released polos and button-down golf shirts available on their website.