Lifestyle Reporter, Axios Local
Axios is a growth-stage startup dedicated to providing trustworthy, award-winning news content in an audience-first format. We’re hiring a lifestyle reporter to join our Charlotte team and be part of our growing newsroom of 150+.
Why it matters:
This is arguably the coolest job in Charlotte. We’re looking for a creative and entrepreneurial reporter who will spearhead coverage of things to do in Charlotte — where to eat and drink, what to do after work and over the weekend, and what people are talking about.
The details: This role reports to our Axios Local Charlotte reporter who oversees our lifestyle coverage. They will coordinate with the rest of the editorial team regularly.
• This position may include some weekend and evening work depending on what’s going on.
• This position will include covering breaking news periodically.
This person will be responsible for:
• Pitching and reporting original lifestyle stories
• Writing our wildly popular weekend and weekday planners
• Compiling and updating our guides to everything from best wings in Charlotte to best ice-skating rinks during the holidays
• Taking videos and photos for web stories and social media
• Posting on our Instagram and TikTok, which have more than 321,000 followers combined
The ideal candidate will be someone with a passion for everything Charlotte and a passion for our mission to help people make the most out of living here. This person will have experience in journalism and in using various social media platforms. They will also have the following skills:
• Creativity and a knack for spotting interesting stories
• Ability to meet deadlines
• Familiarity with Charlotte and what gets people excited here
• Ability to multitask
• Attention to detail
• Excellent communication skills, both with an internal team and with sources
• Willingness to work after hours as needed
• Competitive salary
• Health insurance (100% paid for individuals, 75% for families)
• Primary caregiver 12-week paid leave
• Generous vacation policy, plus company holidays
• Commuter and cell phone benefit
• A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture
• Annual learning and development stipend
Additional pandemic-related benefits:
• One mental health day per quarter
• $100 monthly work-from-home stipend
• Tele-mental health services
• OneMedical membership, including tele-health services
• Increased work flexibility for parents and caretakers
• Access to the Axios “Family Fund”, which was created to allow employees to request financial support when facing financial hardship or emergencies
• Virtual company-sponsored social events
Axios is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Axios makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.