Wilmington’s popular Wheelz Pizza is opening at Kings Court Plaza in Midtown on Sept. 12.
It will take over the old Pizza Hut location at 901 S. Kings Dr.
Why it matters: Co-owner Joy Sprenger told Axios the Brooklyn-Neapolitan style pizza will be as close to real Italian pizza as possible.
- “The dough has a puff to it and a chardness on top,” she said.
- Co-owner Paul Parker spent years perfecting the dough, which is all made in-house.
- “I mean years,” Sprenger said with emphasis, “with different flour, types of salt, even the temperature of the refrigerator and water.”
The menu: They have two pie sizes: 10 inches and 14 inches. The 10-inch pies cost $10 to $13, and the 14-inch pies run between $11 and $16 depending on the toppings.
- They also have a gluten-free pizza option.
- And their chocolate chip cookies are a must-try.
Details: The pizza joint will be take-out and delivery only. It doesn’t have any seating room inside. They’re also bringing a truck for events, which is something they’re known for in Wilmington.
- They’ll open Monday through Sunday from 10am to 8pm.
- You can order online or on their app.
What’s next: Sprenger just signed a lease for a second Charlotte location in South End. It’ll be on the ground floor of the Penrose apartment building on Tremont St.
- Their South End location will include indoor seating.
- Sprenger told Axios they’re hoping to open this location in spring 2023 depending on supply chain issues.
Editors note: This story was originally published July 22, 2022 and was updated on Sept. 9, 2022 to reflect the opening date.