Canopy Cocktails & Garden opens in South End Saturday, July 23.
Unlike its sister business, CLT Beer Garden, South End’s newest bar will be “cocktail heavy,” GM David Schmidt tells Axios.
Details: Canopy Cocktails is located at 118 E Kingston Ave., right off the light rail at the Dilworth Artisan Station.
- It has three bars (two inside, one outside) and capacity for 300 people.
- It’ll open Tuesday through Sunday from 4pm to 2am.
The vibe: Canopy has a “sexy vibe,” Schmidt says, with dim lighting, candles everywhere, and a real working fireplace. You’ll feel like you’re inside a private study or a library after dark — even at 4pm.
- Yes, but: It’s not a club, Schmidt says. They won’t play house or country music; instead, you’ll hear electro-jazz and Gatsby-esque modern versions of 1920s songs bumping through the speakers.
- “It’s a place to meet a friend, enjoy a friend, make some friends,” Schmidt says. “It’ll be fun and funky.”
The menu: Canopy will offer craft cocktails with real juices and simple syrups made in-house, all designed by Schmidt, who recently won the North Carolina Restaurant & Lodging Association’s People’s Choice Award for his specialty cocktail recipe.
- They’ll have two beers on tap from Sycamore and cans from other brewers like Wicked Weed and Budweiser.
- Eventually, Schmidt says they’ll add two of their cocktails on draft, depending on which ones become their most popular.
- “We’re a craft cocktail bar but we don’t want you waiting 20 minutes for a drink,” Schmidt says.
- Drinks will range in price from $13-$17.
What’s next: Canopy doesn’t have a kitchen but they do plan on offering small plates like charcuterie boards and hummus eventually.
Editor’s note: This story has been updated to reflect the business’ decision to cancel its $1 membership fee.