Public Relations Manager
The Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety (IBHS) is an independent, non-profit, scientific research organization supported solely by the property and casualty insurers and reinsurers who conduct business or reinsure risks in the U.S.
The mission of IBHS is to break the cycle of human suffering that strikes families and communities in the wake of severe weather. As the impacts of climate change are yielding more extreme weather events, the need to improve our current and future infrastructure is evident. Through our continued research, our team of scientists and risk communicators deliver strategies that are geared towards improving modern building codes, leading to safer and stronger homes and businesses. IBHS’s real-world solutions enable the insurance industry and affected property owners to prevent avoidable losses.
Severe weather disrupts lives, displaces families, and drives financial loss. The Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety (IBHS) delivers top-tier science and translates it into action so we can prevent avoidable suffering, strengthen homes and businesses, and support thriving communities. IBHS is an independent, nonprofit 501 (C), scientific research and communications organization supported by property insurers and reinsurers. IBHS’s building safety research leads to real-world solutions for home and business owners, helping to create more resilient communities.
The Public Relations Manager will support the organization’s objectives by supporting the development and execution of creative and effective communications programs that grow awareness of IBHS science and inspire audience action. This position reports to the Managing Director, Communications & Media and is part of a team of communicators and content creators, including specialists in public relations, social media, graphic design, web content strategy and executive communications who bring audiences inside the natural perils of high wind (hurricanes, tornadoes), hail and wildfire, and provide actionable guidance to strengthen and prepare homes and businesses to end the repeated cycle of damage.
Essential duties and responsibilities
• Well-rounded communicator with a multi-media mindset and experience and attention to detail
• Strong media relations skillset, from developing newsworthy media and influencer angles and writing content to proactive media outreach and building reporter relationships
• Passion for developing public relations campaigns, from ideation to execution, to build awareness of IBHS’s science and research-backed solutions to reduce the impact of natural disasters
• Ability to create a variety of written and visual content across communications channels, including through news media, social media, websites, employee communications, and IBHS Member communications
• A natural storyteller who can generate compelling ideas to capture audience attention with IBHS- exclusive visual content, including from ongoing testing at our Research Center in Richburg, SC – the only one of its kind in the world – on the ground post-disaster (storm or wildfire) investigations, and periodic research demonstrations for media and influencers
• Creative thinker who can advance IBHS’s position as a credible, respected, science-based thought leader and resource, yet in a style approachable to serve as a trusted guide to homeowners and businessowners as they prepare for severe weather and wildfire
• Support brand positioning, narrative development and storytelling that elevates the Institute’s research in a variety of settings, including events, speaking engagements, public announcements, research updates, guidance and education, and media relations
• Work with internal business partners to explore and develop ideas to bring homeowners and business owners inside severe weather events to compel them to take action to reduce their risk
• Able to contribute to an executive thought leadership program to amplify the Institute’s messages and mission to externally engage members of the disaster preparedness community through a proactive program that leverages content, public appearances, and industry events
• Poised and able to partner with IBHS Member companies to develop ideas, provide content and arrange access to IBHS researchers to support their communications programs
• Partner with multiple internal and external stakeholders, including other organizations with a shared interest in severe weather and wildfire preparedness and resilient building, on integrated communications campaigns and initiatives
• Collaborate with creative contributors, product managers, public policy leaders, researchers, and executives across the organization to seek and evaluate new opportunities to advance the Institute’s industry leadership
• Responsible for daily media monitoring and monthly media reporting, including using monitoring tools and analytics to evaluate the effectiveness of communications programs
• Ensure excellence and innovation on all communications output
• Stay up to date on new advancements in communications and embraces a culture of constant evolution to keep the Institute ahead of the curve on new channels, techniques, and strategies
• Strong knowledge of AP Style
• Ability to work closely with agency partners, including public relations firm and design resources, co- creating programs and ensuring quality work
• The dynamic nature of public relations requires support at critical points in time, some nights, weekends, and travel may be required
Big picture thinker with ability to drive execution. Fosters a cohesive, supportive work environment. Focuses on achieving results in an effective and timely manner. Can clearly convey goals and expectations. Communicates ideas persuasively. Paves the way for positive change. Contributes to formulating objectives and priorities. Implements plans consistent with the long-term interests of the organization. Capitalizes on opportunities and manages risks.
Focus on quality
Sets high-quality standards and strives for continuous improvement and quality assurance.
Planning and organizing
The ability to determine goals and priorities. To assess actions, time and resources to achieve goals. Completes assigned work within defined time frames and competing priorities.
Relates to internal and external customers in an open and friendly manner. Values teamwork and collaboration. Must have excellent interpersonal and communicative skills, as well as demonstrate sound leadership and decision-making ability in partnership with others.
Enthusiastic to be both a hands-on content creator as well as a strategist. Self-starter, with the ability to think on feet and show excellent judgment.
The ability and willingness to relate to internal and external business partners in an open and friendly manner to achieve desired outcomes.
Adherence to standards, values and rules of conduct associated with IBHS culture. Exhibits high levels of trustworthiness with confidential information or documents.
Able to seed digital mindset and creative excellence. Gives positive and critical feedback on written and visual content that is timely and direct. Demonstrates personal growth and learning.
Attention to detail
High attention to detail, especially with regards to grammar, voice, and tone. The ability to process detailed information effectively and consistently with excellent output.
The ability to absorb new information from a variety of sources in a short time frame. Can use new information to improve processes and decision making.
Works as a team member treats others with respect, reflects a positive attitude. Displays personal commitment to the workplace, is punctual and manages time off appropriately.
Critical thinking and decisiveness
Ability to define problems or obstacles, considers alternatives and consequences and offers workable solutions. Seeks appropriate advice when necessary. Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, successfully managing multiple programs at any given time.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
Education and experience
5+ years of communications experience, including 2+ years of hands-on media relations experience. Ideal candidate will also have experience with employee communications, executive communications, social media and/or marketing communications. Four-year degree required. Position competencies and KSA’s are typical of a person with 5+ years similar experience. Media relations enthusiast a must. Experience with and independent user of social platforms (Facebook/Facebook Stories, Twitter, Instagram/Instagram Stories, Pinterest, LinkedIn, YouTube, etc.) is a plus.
Advanced proficiency with Microsoft and familiarity with media relations databases and tools like Cision, Meltwater or similar program. Experience with social media listening and measurement tools is a plus. Familiarity with Adobe Creative products is a plus.
Able to interact and influence at an executive level. Advanced proficiency with the English language in writing, editing and speaking. Intermediate proficiency in editing and proofreading, demonstrating attention to detail, accuracy and presentation of information with the end user in mind.
Ability to perform mathematical calculations at the pre-Algebra level; ability to determine time frames, scheduling and distance; ability to conceptualize alternative plans and consequences regarding time, distance and money.
Ability to exercise good judgment under limited supervision. Can apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed, but uncomplicated written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving few concrete variables in standardized situations. Ability to multi-task.
Naturally curious with the ability to turn new and imaginative ideas into reality. Creativity is characterized by the ability to see IBHS research and surroundings in new ways, to find hidden patterns, to make connections between seemingly unrelated phenomena and to generate solutions.
Ability to deliver information to a varied audience and impart knowledge transfer. Critical thinking and ability to think on one’s feet are necessary. Ability to work the audience to ensure high engagement is essential.
Advanced ability to write and edit for accuracy, as well as audience, grammar, punctuation, spelling, clarity, voice and style.
Work is performed indoors and outdoors, climate adjusted with mild noise and light fluctuations. Environment will fluctuate between office setting and minimal field work with a variety of environmental effects.
• Sedentary work – Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to negligible amount of force frequently.
• Visual Acuity – Close visual acuity to perform an activity such as computer typing, extensive reading, preparing and analyzing reports, documenting minutes of a meeting.
• Hearing – Perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction. Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication, and to make the discriminations in sound.
• Repetitive motion – Substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers.
• Talking – Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Those activities in which they must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly, or quickly.
• Feeling – Perceiving attributes of objects, such as size, shape, temperature or texture by touching with skin, particularly that of fingertips.
• Fingering – Picking, pinching, typing or otherwise working, primarily with fingers rather than with the whole hand as in handling.
• Sitting – Particularly for extended periods of time.
• Grasping – Applying pressure to an object with the fingers and palm.