Maintenance Line Technician I
TDS delivers up to 2 Gigabit internet speeds and offers internet-protocol based TV entertainment solutions along with traditional phone services in nearly 1,000 rural, suburban, and metropolitan communities. Powered by fiber-optics and new industry-leading technologies, TDS is a growing force in building and deploying fiber optic networks in the United States.
The Maintenance Line Technician I position is an entry level CATV maintenance position responsible for preventative maintenance, troubleshooting and repair services of broadband, video, and phone that is being served over a HFC-Hybrid Fiber/Coaxial cable system. This position must understand system sweep of forward and return path ensuring optimized RF levels, troubleshoots, sets-up, as well as understand trunk amplifiers with the ability to calculate signal level losses in cable and equipment for trunk and distribution lines. This position performs routine maintenance and repairs on all types of network cabling (including, but not limited to, CATV trunk and distribution systems) as well as activation and proofing new line extensions, while providing technical support and mentoring Technicians regarding service-related issues. Additionally, this position performs various Field Technician work assignments, which may include system troubleshooting.
This position is eligible for a $2,000 sign-on bonus! (Payout and retention terms apply). Starting around $23.00 per hour.
• Assumes full responsibility for troubleshooting and maintenance of the entire HFC network, including Fiber Optic Cable, Fiber Nodes, forward and return amplifiers, coax cable, couplers, splitters, and taps. Also assists in troubleshooting Escalated Customer premise issues up to the house box/MDU
• Performs system sweep of forward and return path ensuring optimized RF levels, troubleshoots, sets-up and changes out trunk amplifiers, calculates signal level losses in cable and equipment for trunk and distribution lines
• Maintains Plant condition in relation to repairing broken lashing wire, damaged pedestals and tree trimming helping to ensure optimal network performance while helping to maintain NESC compliance and public safety
• Keeps records and renders reports relative to system operations as required
• Uses OTDR, TDR, Spectrum Analyzer, SLM, Digital Test Equipment, Stealth Sweep Receiver and Cable Fault Locator throughout the scope of duties. Occasionally uses waveform monitor and frequency counter when testing / proofing Headend performance
• Participates in emergency fiber restorations, including fiber preparation, fusion splicing and planning permanent repairs
• Conducts system tests such as: carrier/noise, hum modulation, 24-hour tests, forward and return sweep, ingress mitigation, and basic knowledge of fiber transmitter and receiver operation in relation to Digital QAM signal. Performs all FCC mandated Proof of Performance tests
• Reads and understands system design maps. Completes basic system designs and communicates changes required to system maps to ensure accuracy of data
• Responsible for monitoring and repairing CLI leaks within assigned maintenance area/entire plant to reduce customer impacting ingress/egress and maintain greater than 98% on annual CLI flyover
• May be required to participate in early morning hour cutover projects to lessen the customer impacting service interruptions during peak hours
• Collaborates and communicates with other departments working in the trouble ticketing system and managing escalation tickets within specified SLA to ensure customer satisfaction. Works closely with various technical, sales, and engineering teams. Guide and mentor teammates in Business Services and cross departmentally
• Performs routine maintenance on power supplies, including testing, changing out batteries when needed and bi-annual physical inspection and cleaning of the cabinet and power supply modules
• Performs customary CATV aerial and underground construction, including installation of U.G. cable, vaults, pedestals or equipment used to house CATV equipment. Locates existing U.G. cable, identifies bad cable with use of a TDR or fault locator. Performs aerial construction including make-ready, pulling and lashing cables, placing all passive and active devices found in trunk and distribution. Sets up GNA and Line Extenders, including calculating pads and equalizers as required, using a field strength meter. Assists with fiber construction and initial forward fiber optic receiver and return fiber optic transmitter splicing and setup.
• 2+ years’ experience in a service technician or cable plant role -OR- current military service, or prior military service with honorable discharge
• 1+ year of year experience using Microsoft Word and Excel
• Must have a valid driver’s license and ability to maintain DOT requirements in relation to operating a vehicle with a combined GVRW of>10,000 lbs. as required by ODOT and TDS, insurance and access to reliable transportation
• Must follow the TDS attendance guidelines in order to meet TDS’s business needs including but not limited to our obligations to our customers and to our customers’ needs
• 2+ years’ experience with advanced HFC Coaxial Cable – CATV
• Ability to perform the duties associated with Broadband Technician I and II (or similar external role)
• Must complete one of the following certification options
• SCTE Broadband Distribution (BDS) Certification, or
• NCTI System Technician Course
• Satisfactory passing of practical knowledge exam administered by the employer demonstrating practical ability to perform the required skills of the classification
• Advanced written, verbal and customer relations skills
• Highly organized with excellent time management skills
• Must be team-oriented and customer focused
• Ability to interpret and correctly fill-out various work order forms provided by the company
• Strong work ethic with an emphasis on team commitment
Physical demands and work environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, write and operate a computer keyboard, standard office equipment and telephone. The employee regularly communicates with customers. The employee is frequently required to move about and reach for items. Frequently required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. May be required to balance or climb. Frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
This position may require working outdoors, in mechanical/ equipment rooms, and possible extreme weather conditions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts and heavy equipment. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
As a part of your total compensation, #TDS provides a comprehensive, competitive benefit package. The benefit plans address both the immediate and long term needs that you and your family may have. For an overview of what we have to offer for full-time employees including vacation, health benefits and retirement options please visit our site at https://tdstelecom.com/careers/benefits.html
At TDS, we embrace Equal Employment Opportunity by valuing our differences and consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by law. To learn about our diversity & inclusion philosophy and culture visit our site at https://tdstelecom.com/careers/diversity-inclusion.html