Field Service Technician-Construction I
TDS Telecommunications LLC (TDS Metrocom/TDS) is a leading provider of fiber internet service. With more than 50 years of experience, the growing communications company is building and deploying new, fiber optic networks in neighborhoods across the country to deliver up to 2 Gigabit internet speeds to homes and up to 10 Gigabit internet speeds to business. In addition, TDS provides innovative TV entertainment and advanced phone services. Visit tdsfiber.com to learn more.
TDS provides communications services for more than 1,000 rural, suburban, and metropolitan communities in the United States. The company employs more than 3,000 people nationwide and is a subsidiary of Telephone and Data Systems, Inc. (TDS Inc.), a Fortune 1000® company [NYSE: TDS]. Founded in 1969, Telephone and Data Systems provides wireless, broadband, video, and voice; and hosted and managed services to approximately 6 million connections nationwide through its businesses: UScellular, TDS Telecom, and OneNeck IT Solutions. TDS Inc. has been named to several Forbes lists, including America’s Best Employers for Diversity, Best Large Employers, and Best Employers for Women. Visit tdsinc.com or tdstelecom.com for more information.
The Field Service Technician-Construction I position performs the general labor associated with outside plant cable construction, includes, but is not limited to, assisting with the installation of communications facilities (both buried and aerial). Work is performed in accordance with state and local regulations in a safe manner.
This position is eligible for a $2,000 sign-on bonus. (Payout and retention terms apply) Starting around $21.00 per hour
• Performs general construction labor in various weather conditions while utilizing safety fundamentals
• Assists with and performs the transportation of required construction equipment to and from the worksite
• Assists with and performs the placement of new aerial and buried cable according to maps, staking sheets, and locate markings
• Uses hand tools, cable locators and test equipment
• Installs and/or sets enclosures (buried and aerial) vaults, pedestals and handholes
• Climbs poles, ladders, towers and other structures as needed; uses bucket truck when required
• Marks/labels fiber optic and/or copper facilities
• Uses dispatching applications and associated tools
• Assists with fiber, copper and coax splicing and repairs
• Assists with outside plant preventative maintenance
• 6 + months of experience related to the construction of buried and aerial utilities -OR- current military service, or prior military service with honorable discharge
• Must follow the TDS attendance guidelines in order to meet TDS’s business needs including but not limited to our obligations to our customers and to our customers’ needs
• Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license, remain eligible for DOT requirements and possess the ability to obtain a Commercial Driver’s
• Basic understanding of telecommunication products and services
• Upon hire, must successfully complete customer-specific requirements, which may include a background check administered by the customer
• Proven organizational skills and ability to multi-task
• Physical requirements may vary based on company needs: Ability to dig, lift and climb
• Requires being available for on-call/standby responsibilities and may require occasional travel
• Must be willing to work overtime as needed. May be required to work various/swing shifts as business needs dictate
• Must be able to operate vehicles with manual transmissions
Physical demands and work environment:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must also be able to climb poles, ladders, towers or other structures. The employee is occasionally required to sit, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, and taste or smell. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions and may have to work in attics and crawl spaces, or high-risk areas such as high voltage electrical, trenches, and manholes. The employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts and heavy equipment; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, toxic or caustic chemicals, extreme cold, and extreme heat. The noise level in the work environment is at times loud.
As a part of your total compensation, #TDS provides a comprehensive, competitive benefit package. The benefit plans address both the immediate and long term needs that you and your family may have. For an overview of what we have to offer for full-time employees including vacation, health benefits and retirement options please visit our site at https://tdstelecom.com/careers/benefits.html
At TDS, we embrace Equal Employment Opportunity by valuing our differences and consider all qualified applicants without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by law. To learn about our diversity & inclusion philosophy and culture please visit us at https://tdstelecom.com/careers/diversity-inclusion.html