Night Swim Coffee will open its fifth location in Charlotte this fall.
The new coffee shop will open on the ground floor of The Joinery—aka Charlotte’s first “carless apartment complex” this September.
What to expect: The 1,900 square-foot café will have large windows overlooking the light rail and pedestrian walkways. Charlotte-based design company Cluck Design will design the space.
- The address is 1824 N. Brevard Street.
Why it matters: Night Swim is the brainchild of Not Just Coffee and Undercurrent, whose initial vision was to open a roastery and four cafés together under the Night Swim brand. Now they have five locations, plus 13 locations between the three brands, including The Joinery.
- Co-founder James Yoder told Axios they plan to continue to expand the Night Swim Coffee cafés both in Charlotte and beyond North Carolina.
Back to the carless apartment complex.
- The Joinery, Space Craft’s mixed-use apartment development, opened on April 1, featuring 83 studio, 1 and 2-bedroom apartments. Over a third of the building is leased. A second phase of the project is in the works. We will update you with details as they become available.
By the numbers: Eliminating parking saves developers money, which allows them to invest in other areas, like competitive rent, as Axios’ Katie Peralta Soloff reported in March.
- Some estimates indicate parking can cost developers $20,000-$40,000 per spot, she reported.
- “Having a strong and edgy locally-owned retail tenant is so important to the ‘forward looking’ culture we want to build in Optimist Park,” Harrison Tucker, CEO and Co-Founder of Space Craft said in a statement.
What they’re saying: “The Joinery’s focus on environmental resiliency and facilitating walkable neighborhoods is incredibly attractive to us and something that we are proud to be affiliated with,” Night Swim Coffee Co-Founder Todd Huber said in a statement. “Our families have lived close to this location for over a decade, so we understand the potential for evolution and growth in the area.”