This past Thursday and Friday, Charlotte startup BREWPUBLIK ran a brilliant promotion were they swapped unwanted 6-pack (or 5-pack) with a Charlotte-brewed 6-pack – at no cost. This got is thinking: What did they learn?
- BREWPUBLIK did 98 swaps. Total haul was 414 bottles and cans. Magical.
- Most popular beer that consumers swapped was Bud Light, with 68 total. Overall, Budwieser products were approximately 20% of the swapped beer. Second, Coors Light with 15%. Third was Miller Light. Expired seasonal craft beer (pumpkin beers and Christmas beers) were around 6%.
- Most interesting beer swap? 3 year old Iron City Light Mango (I might have hung on to this, looks refreshing and only 95 calories).
“My last delivery Saturday night (at 8:30), I was invited in for a beer, and dinner (I’d never met these people in my life). We ended up chatting for an hour and now I have both new customers and new friends.” – Charlie, Co-Founder.
— Sean Wirt (@seanwirt) May 3, 2015
— Adam (@Zellie_Simmons) May 2, 2015
— tymonnate (@tymonnate) May 2, 2015
— Jamie Gardner (@jjaammiieeeee) May 2, 2015
- What are they going to do with all this beer? Stay tuned.
- When Charlie messaged me the results, he spelled “Miller Lite” as “Miller Light” – I hope he was intentionally disrespecting them.
- Congratulations to Charlie, Zach and the BREWPUBLIK team. Brilliant marketing move. Incredibly smart promotion.
- Aside from the fun, we’ll be following BREWPUBLIK’s startup story to see if they can take the business to the next level. Smart team and fascinating service.