Hive is the newest late-night spot that has Charlotte buzzing.
The 21-and-up Raleigh nightclub recently opened in Uptown.
What’s happening: The club is bringing big city vibes to Charlotte’s going out scene with nightly themes to match.
- Thursday will kick off the weekend with Latin nights.
- Hive partners with power 98.1 FM DJ’s to bring hip hop music on Fridays.
- Saturday’s open format will have a mix of top 40 hits, EDM and hip hop tunes.
Why it matters: Charlotte’s nightlife doesn’t compare to other big cities.
“There are enough people coming to Charlotte, but not enough big room night clubs,” said Jennifer Heasty, director of operations at Bunch of 5s Hospitality.
Context: As a native to the Raleigh-Durham area, where the original location was, Hive set a bar high for nightlife on the weekends with occasional celebrity guest appearances. Many frequenters were devastated when that location closed.
Background: Bunch of 5s Hospitality is the same group of people behind other popular bars and clubs across the Carolinas, including:
- In Raleigh: Dogwood, Milk Bar and Glenwood Social Club.
- In Charleston: Proper Charleston will be opening soon.
As for the name, Heasty confirms it has “nothing to do with the Hornets.” She says it just worked out perfectly once the location opened in Charlotte.
What to drink: Hive offers a full bar with a specialty drink menu and bottle service.
- Signature beverages include, The Hive (a Patron margarita), the Tropical Don (Don Julio with tropical Red Bull), and Pineapple express (Tito’s vodka and pineapple juice).
- Starting in May, drink towers will also be available.
- The venue fits up to 400 people.
What’s next: Bunch of 5s plans to expand in Charlotte within the next two years, and they are considering South End for the next location
- Once football season starts, they plan to start hosting watch parties.
- Day parties are also planned for the near future.