Recreation Leader – Summer Camp
This position is for weekday summer camp counselors. It is a seasonal position where the employee could work up to 40 hours in a week. Performs responsible work involving a variety of activities related to the recreation summer camp programs, maintenance of recreation facilities (includes parks and buildings) and grounds; performs related work as required. Work is performed under the general supervision of the assigned Division Manager within the Parks, Recreation & Cultural Resource Department.
• Provide excellent customer service
• Organize a variety of games/activities associated with recreation summer camp programs/events
• Assist with the delivery of recreation summer camp programs/events
• Monitor participants and activities in recreation facilities
• Administer weekday summer camp program/event schedule set by supervisor
• Provide a safe environment for all participants
• Perform various maintenance duties as needed
• Open and close recreation facilities as needed
• Enforce departmental rules and regulations
• Ensure safety and proper working condition of equipment
• Perform a variety of clerical duties including preparation and maintenance of files and reports
Knowledge, skills, and abilities:
General knowledge of the philosophy and objectives of municipal recreation; ability to provide leadership for recreation summer camp participants; ability to prepare reports; ability to use instruments, tools, or other equipment used in recreation summer camp programs/events; ability to operate a personal computer, including a knowledge of applicable software packages; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, participants and the general public.
This is medium work requiring the exertion of 75 pounds of force occasionally, up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects; work requires climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, standing, walking, pulling, grasping, and repetitive motions; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels, and to receive detailed information through oral communications and/or to make fine distinctions in sound; visual acuity is required for depth perception, color perception, peripheral vision, preparing and analyzing written or computer data, visual inspection involving small defects and/or small parts, operation of machines, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities; the worker is subject to inside environmental conditions; the worker may be exposed to blood borne pathogens, cleaning products, chemicals and may be required to wear specialized personal protective equipment.
Education and experience:
Prefer any combination of education equivalent to some coursework in high school and experience in recreational programming.
• First Aid/CPR Certification; possession of an appropriate driver’s license valid in the State of North Carolina. Requires flexible work schedule, including weekend and evening hours
• Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential tasks