Are you seeking your next challenge in 2022? Maybe you’re yearning for something more meaningful, searching for real purpose in your next role. How about the ability to effect change to the very streets, parks, and outdoor spaces you walk, cycle, and run in every day? While also positively impacting the climate, economic mobility, racial equity, and physical and mental health for hundreds of thousands of others across Charlotte and Mecklenburg County? Then look no further.
Sustain Charlotte is seeking a full-time Communications Manager on a contract-to-hire basis. Someone who is a wordsmith, loves social media, and is committed to furthering smart growth and sustainability in Charlotte. This role is integral to effectively communicate Sustain Charlotte’s mission to inspire choices that lead to a healthier and more vibrant community for generations to come. To achieve our mission, we focus on three key strategies:
Educate – We educate the public about the value to our community of sustainability and how it is achieved, including the best ideas and practices from other cities around the country.
Engage – We provide opportunities for increased public engagement in the discussions and decisions that determine our future’s sustainability.
Unite – We unite citizens, businesses, nonprofits, public agencies, and academic institutions to develop shared visions, goals, and strategies for a sustainable region.
• Write, edit and manage content for Sustain Charlotte’s social media channels, website, electronic newsletters, and other external collateral
• Develop and analyze our communication strategies to assess who we are targeting and if it reflects a racially diverse audience, and how to expand our messaging to be racially inclusive
• Be intentional about the content we share to ensure we incorporate diverse perspectives into our communications with our members and supporters
• Work with colleagues to develop press releases, written statements, opinion editorials, and letters-to-the-editor to actively place Sustain Charlotte’s messaging and policy positions in the media
• Develop and maintain familiarity with Sustain Charlotte’s projects, focal areas, advocacy issues, and strategic plan in order to develop engaging, informative, and innovative ways to communicate our work and engage audiences
• Ensure that Sustain Charlotte branding is consistently and accurately represented at all community and member touchpoints and for all communications and publications
• Maintain an organized archive of all communications collateral
• Lead the design of an annual communications plan, calendar, and department budget
• Work closely with Sustain Charlotte Event Manager and staff to successfully execute monthly events
Qualifications and required skill set:
• Five or more years experience in at least a mid-level communications role
• Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, graphic design, or work equivalent
• Impeccable project management, communication, and writing skills
• Experience with Asana or other project management tools
• Experience with social media ad campaigns
• An eye for detail and the ability to follow directions and execute feedback
• Ability to vision, strategize and implement from start to finish on projects
• Experience with WordPress and CSS, HTLM experience desired
• Excellent visual design and typography skills desired
• Experience working with a non-profit organization desired
Compensation and hours:
• The Communications Manager will begin ASAP for an initial three-month contract-to-hire term.
• The rate of pay is negotiable and commensurate with experience
• Sustain Charlotte supports a flexible work schedule and prioritizes work-life balance. Most work will be performed during weekdays. Some weekend or evening hours may be required. Our flexible work schedule allows staff to work from home and at our office at 1100 S. Mint Street.
Sustain Charlotte prioritizes diversity and inclusion. Women, non-cis gendered people, people of color, and individuals from underrepresented communities are strongly encouraged to apply. Sustain Charlotte welcomes applicants to share anything about their life experience that has prepared them for the position they are applying for.
Employment at Sustain Charlotte is based upon individual qualifications without regard to race, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, creed, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, marital, or veteran status, political ideology, gender identity, genetic information, or any other legally protected status. This policy applies to all areas of employment, including recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, compensation, benefits, transfer, and social/recreational programs.