Reporter, Axios Local (Charlotte)
Axios is a growth-stage company dedicated to providing trustworthy, award-winning news content in an audience-first format. We are hiring a reporter for Axios Charlotte as part of our growing local news initiative.
Why it matters:
We’re obsessed with interesting news and topics about our city — and dedicated to finding new and creative ways to deliver those stories to our more than 108K+ newsletter subscribers and 260K+ Instagram followers.
We exist to help people make smarter decisions and understand their city better.
What we’re looking for: A local news junkie who wants to help our audience members become smarter, faster. Someone who can deliver timely stories and tell readers why those stories matter.
• What does a neighborhood debate say about our city as a whole?
• Why does a small beer shop actually matter to the people who go there?
• What TikTok trend is spreading like wildfire through our schools?
• What does a public transportation debate say about power in our city?
Ideal candidates will embody an entrepreneurial spirit and passion for Axios’ mission. You’ll:
• Break news, get scoops, identify trends and explain big topics in conversational ways
• Have a nose that leads you to news that matters to a community
• Write with voice, and bring original ideas
• Have a solid foundation of Charlotte sources already, or a proven record of developing sources quickly in a similar market
• Be willing to try new formats
• Embrace our mission to deal with reality as it is, not as you wish it would be
• Competitive salary
• Health insurance (100% paid for individuals, 75% for families)
• Primary caregiver 12-week paid leave
• Generous vacation policy, plus company holidays
• Company equity
• Commuter and cell phone benefit
• A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture
• Annual learning and development stipend
Additional pandemic-related benefits:
• One mental health day per quarter
• $100 monthly work-from-home stipend
• Tele-mental health services
• OneMedical membership, including tele-health services
• Increased work flexibility for parents and caretakers
• Access to the Axios “Family Fund”, which was created to allow employees to request financial support when facing financial hardship or emergencies
• Classpass discount
• Virtual company-sponsored social events
Axios is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Axios makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.