Our mission at UrbanPromise is to provide Charlotte’s children and youth with the spiritual, academic, and social development necessary to become Christian leaders determined to restore their communities.
We take a 20-year leadership journey with students and their families. This journey has three stages: Reach a Child, Raise a Leader, Restore Community. From ages 5-13, students attend UrbanPromise’s afterschool and summer programs. During high school, students are employed as “StreetLeaders” (mentors and counselors for the younger children in our programs) and receive college access support themselves. From ages 18-25, StreetLeader Alumni receive support so they graduate college and find meaningful post-graduate employment. Our ultimate goal is to raise a new generation of indigenous Christian leaders that is determined to make Charlotte a fully integrated city where social, spiritual, and economic capital flow between neighborhoods.
UrbanPromise Charlotte invites passionate and experienced leaders to apply for the full-time Development Director position. The Development Director will plan, execute, and lead UrbanPromise’s fund development efforts. Working closely with UrbanPromise’s Executive Director, the Development Director will have responsibilities ranging from donor relations to project management to major donor and foundation work.
As a member of the leadership team of UrbanPromise, the Development Director must have the ability to communicate the UrbanPromise mission (in written and oral communication) with passion and clarity such that donors and other stakeholders are inspired to support our students, StreetLeaders, and Alumni.
• Partner with Executive Director, Board, and Development Manager to create and execute fund development plan
• Identify, cultivate, solicit and steward major donors and prospects to grow, strengthen, and nurture the donor base across their life cycle
• Work with Development Manager to maintain UrbanPromise’s donor management system (Bloomerang) and process/acknowledge donations
• Oversee the planning and execution of UrbanPromise’s annual fundraising events. Currently, this includes one large, signature event in November (our Promise Breakfast) and several smaller events throughout the year
• Lead efforts in collaboration with Executive Director, Development Manger, and other UrbanPromise staff to develop and implement an effective communications plan
• Work with Development Manager to create compelling newsletters, cases for support, and other development materials that reflect the ongoing impact of UrbanPromise programs to donors
• Manage UrbanPromise’s social media presence
Grants and foundation/corporate relations
• Research, identify, cultivate, and steward new relationships foundation, corporate, and faith groups
• Oversee the grant-writing and reporting process by working with Development Manger to research, write, and submit grant applications and reports
• Attend foundation meetings and lead selected relationships
• Serve as the direct manager for our part-time Development Manager by establishing annual goals and providing regular guidance and support
• 5+ years of work in philanthropy and/or fund development
• Experience managing successful projects involving attention to details and strategic planning
• Demonstrated strength in strategic communication
• Exceptional interpersonal skills required to communicate effectively in both written and oral forms, including presentations
• Exceptional relationship-building abilities with a demonstrated ability to connect with individuals across lines of difference
• Strong organization, detail-orientation, project management, and execution skills
• Strong work ethic, with the initiative to work independently and to take ownership for critical projects
• Ability to analyze data and respond accordingly
Approach to work
• Strong belief in and deep commitment to the UrbanPromise mission
• High level of personal responsibility and organization
• Strong mindset of service to others
• History of demonstrated leadership and strong personal character
• Exceptional customer service ethic
• Ability to operate effectively, and with a sense of possibility, in a fast-paced environment
• Team player: maturity, humility, strong work-ethic, sense of humor, and a willingness to respond positively to feedback
• Willing and able to occasionally work on evenings
• Bachelor’s degree required
Salary and benefits:
UrbanPromise is committed to attracting and retaining extraordinary, diverse leaders who believe deeply in our mission and uphold our core values. Current benefits include: UrbanPromise covers 100% of employee health care costs; matching retirement contributions up to 3% of your salary; a month-long paid sabbatical after 4 years on staff; and competitive base salaries based on the midpoint of the market among not-for-profit organizations of similar size. The starting salary range for the Development Director position is $65,000 – $75,000.
The start date for the Development Director position is anticipated to be in May of 2022. Applications are due March 25th and may be submitted according to the process outlined in the full job description.