We’re days away from partying at Bank of America Stadium again.
What’s happening: Charlotte FC’s second season kicks off at home on Feb. 25 vs. New England Revolution at 7:30pm.
Why it matters: The Major League Soccer team gave the city something to cheer for during its inaugural season. The bar is high for season two.
Yes, but: What about tailgating? We’ve got you.
- If pregaming is more your style, check out these spots.
Details: Tailgating starts at 3pm for the opener and supporters will march to Bank of America Stadium, past Clutch and the Carolina Panthers’ practice fields, up the greenway connector and around Bank of America Stadium to the East Gate at 6pm.
- Going forward, tailgating will typically start four hours before kick off and supporters will march to the stadium one hour before kick off.
Of note: The tailgate is free and open for all, but you cannot park there.
- BYOB and no hard liquor.
- Expect different food trucks throughout the season.
- Check out more tailgating gear.
Bonus: The club just released its second community kit, retiring the Newly Minted kit from last year. The new community kit, which is called the Crown Jewel kit, will be replaced in 2025. Expect a new primary kit, currently called the Carolina kit, in 2024. Kits will change every two years.
If you’re looking to support local:
- 704 Shop collaborated with the club on a collection, which is available at the stadium team store, 704 Shop and their website, plus mlsstore.com. Expect multiple merchandise drops throughout the season, including hats, sweatshirts, T-shirts and outerwear.
- Ally will match up to $10,000 in collection sales, which will be donated to Greater Goals, Charlotte FC’s soccer and financial literacy program for Title 1 elementary schools in the area.
- Girl Tribe Co. dropped a collection of hoodies, hats and T-shirts ahead of the season.
- Glory Days Apparel partnered with Charlotte FC midfielder Brandt Bronico on “The Mayor” T-shirt ($38) for their soccer collection. A portion of proceeds from “The Mayor” shirt sales will benefit the AW5 Family Fund to support defender Anton Walkes’ family. Walkes died after a boating accident in January.
If you’re intrigued by supporter groups (SG), here’s what you need to know:
Charlotte FC’s SG council has five member organizations:
To become a SG council member, you have to meet certain criteria, including having at least 40 pledged members with season tickets in the supporters’ section of the stadium. Anyone can create an SG, and there are more than the five groups listed above.
- A key SG council function is voting on how they spend money to buy match-day supplies, and that comes from $50 of every season ticket in the SG section at Bank of America Stadium.
- “I say Charlotte, is wonderful. It’s full of banks, beer and soccer,” the chant goes.
- There will be new chants, a new goal celebration and a new post-match song (Dean Martin’s version of “Volare”), Charlotte FC chief fan officer Shawn McIntosh tells Axios.
- Fans will continue to sing the national anthem, a tradition that began last year.
Go deeper: 29 places to watch Charlotte FC
Editor’s note: This story was first published in March of 2022 and was last updated in February of 2023.