Director of Small Business and Technology Development Center
SBTDC’s mission is to support economic development in the State of North Carolina by providing assistance in the start-up, successful operation, and expansion of small businesses and by facilitating technology development and transfer within the state’s small business community.
This position provides the senior management oversight and leadership for the SBTDC’s Regional Service Center at The University of North Carolina at Charlotte. The SBTDC Director will be responsible for Client Counseling and Technical Assistance, Center Management and Administration, Marketing and Outreach, Training, and Performance Evaluations and Professional Development for a Regional Service Center with full-time employees reporting to the Director.
• Planning and coordination of programs and activities of the Regional Center consistent with the overall goals and objectives of the SBTDC Strategic Plan
• Supervising and mentoring Regional Center personnel
• Managing the Regional Center’s operational budget
• Maintaining working relationships with key regional partners/resources, including NC DOC, EDPNC, Chambers of Commerce, EDCs, banks, and other dept and equity funding sources
• Developing program marketing plans and implementing these plans.
• Delivery of appropriate training to meet annual work plan deliverable
• Participating in training events as an instructor or moderator as appropriate
• Develop annual performance plan and professional development plan for self and each employee based at the Center
• Providing direct client service, advice, and technical assistance
• Other duties as assigned or outlined in the position description
Minimum education and experience:
• Master’s degree with five (5) years of relevant experience in business management/consulting, or Bachelor’s Degree with seven (7) years of relevant experience. An • MBA degree is strongly preferred.
Preferred education, knowledge, skills and experience:
Board general knowledge of business principles and practices and excellent interpersonal and communications skills are required. Ability to develop and manage multiple projects and proven ability to work effectively with both the academic and business communities. Small business ownership or management experience is strongly preferred. Consulting experience, particularly in a small business setting. Ability to develop, strengthen and lead strong programs/ initiatives; establish and maintain strong partnership relationships; and manage/ mentor professional staff/ build a team. Must be able to navigate the university environment, work autonomously, and manage multiple projects and communicate well both verbally and in writing. Prior SBTDC experience preferred.
Demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive and equitable workplace environment.