On Wednesday, construction kicked off on the latest high-rise in South End: A 23-story office tower at the East/West light rail station, in the area that’s currently a parking lot behind The Manchester (RIP).
Details: Called 110 East, the 370,000-square-foot building will include 6,000 square feet of ground-floor retail and restaurant space.
- It’ll have a garage on floors 2-10 with 900+ spaces.
- There’ll be a deck on floor 11 with a fitness center and lobby.
- Offices will be on floors 12-23.
Zoom out: It’s a spec building, meaning the development team behind it (Florida developer Stiles and California real estate firm Shorenstein) are building it without any tenants lined up.
- The fact that there aren’t any tenants lined up yet underscores the development team’s confidence in the Charlotte market.
Timeline: The project will deliver in 2024, the development team says.
What he’s saying: “(Charlotte) is a great city, a great economy … and there are great people here,” Shorenstein managing partner Matt Knisely said during a groundbreaking event Wednesday. “You’re very welcoming to out-of-towners like us.”
Why it matters: This development is the latest example of the explosive growth in South End, particularly among office properties.
- Just across Camden Road, Lowe’s is building a 23-story tech hub called the Design Center Tower.
- At Midnight Diner site, Chicago firm Riverside Investment & Development plans to build three towers with a range of uses, from office to residential.
- On South Tryon, developer Spectrum Cos. has been building a pair of 11-story office towers called Vantage South End.
- Also, about a block to the north, just across East Boulevard, White Point Partners and Greystar are building a 24-story apartment tower on the site where the old Rosemont bar was located.
“We love the way the project embraces the transit line. It’s going to be a really iconic project for Charlotte,” economic development director Tracy Dodson said.
Hastings is the architect on the project. Renderings are courtesy of Stiles.