Associate Director of Accounting
When you work for Moishe House (pronounced moy-shuh), you become a part of something BIG: a global nonprofit that builds peer-led Jewish communities for young adults around the world! Founded in 2006, Moishe House funds, trains, and educates young adults to create pluralistic, inclusive, and welcoming Jewish communities as House Residents, MHWOW Hosts, Peer-Led-Retreat Facilitators, and in our Bases. To date, there are more than 150 Moishe House communities in over 30 countries, and we’re still growing.
Moishe House is seeking an Associate Director of Accounting to manage our accounting department and supporting day to day accounting activities such as month-end close activities, and maintaining accounting records such as payroll, ledger accounts, shared cost allocations, and the balance sheet of the organization. This position reports to the Chief Financial and Administrative Officer, based in a Moishe House Hub Office, with preference for Encinitas, CA.
All voices are needed at Moishe House. We want our team to reflect the diversity of Moishe House community builders and participants. We seek employees from diverse backgrounds and life experiences to join our staff team located in the United States, South America, Europe, and the Former Soviet Union. The Moishe House team works together through deep collaboration, investing in relationships, and continuous innovation.
We seek employees from diverse backgrounds, faiths, and life experiences to join our team located in the United States, South America, Europe, and the former Soviet Union. Our vision, in part, is for a fair and equitable workplace, where diversity is celebrated and can truly flourish. We recognize we have a ways to go and a lot to learn.
Who you are and what you’ll do:
• You believe in our mission and bring creativity, innovation, and hard work to our team
• You have a passion for serving others, place high value in being part of a strong team, and want to be part of a dynamic, inspirational organization
You’ll play a key role in managing our accounting process, including:
• Overseeing and managing the general accounting functions, including, but not limited to: accounts payable, accounts receivable, general ledger, and taxes
• Helping with quarterly and year-end financial audit activities and the annual corporate financial controls audit
• Assessing current departmental and organizational practices and procedures, and making recommendations for improvements
• Preparing, reviewing, and analyzing financial statements to ensure accuracy and completeness
• Performing ad hoc analysis and projects as requested
• Supervising and/or managing general ledger accounting functions
• Providing direct supervision, training, development, coaching, and performance management for Accounting staff, and maintaining strong employee relationships
• Working with external auditors to ensure correct and timely closing and reporting at year-end
• You have a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance; four years’ additional accounting or finance full-time work experience may be substituted for the degree
• You have a minimum of 3 years’ relevant full-time professional experience with progressive responsibilities performing accounting functions, preferably in a lead or supervisory role
• You have a thorough knowledge of SageIntacct accounting software and U.S. GAAP
• You demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication abilities across all level of an organization
• You possess leadership skills with a dedication to driving and achieving results
• You have knowledge of employee relationship building and performance management techniques
• You demonstrate advanced-level proficiency with Microsoft Office (specifically Excel), Google Suite, and other office management tools
• You have the ability to multitask and monitor several projects at all times, to work well under pressure, to manage time effectively, and to work across various teams and time zones
• You embrace and effectively demonstrate the Moishe Mindset: Be the Difference, Connect & Listen, Invest Wisely, Embrace the Unknown, Own It!, Value People, and Work Well, Live Well, and Have Fun
• You are eligible to work in the United States without employer sponsorship
The fine print:
The Associate Director of Accounting is a full-time, year-round position, and requires weekday office hours to complete job requirements. This position works in one of our U.S. hub offices (Encinitas, Chicago, New York City, Washington, D.C., or Charlotte). This position is supervised by the Chief Financial and Administrative Officer.
Beginning in early 2022, we’re excited to be returning to a hybrid work schedule at our Hub Offices, where employees can choose to work remotely 2 days per week and collaborate in person with coworkers the rest of the week (Wednesday will be a day we are all in the office together!). Employees will receive prior notice in advance of starting this new schedule.
How Moishe House takes care of you:
• Healthcare: Health, vision, dental, and mental health benefits ($0 employee contribution option available)
• Time off: 15 days paid time off (PTO) per year that increases with continued employment (additional benefits for former Hillel and BBYO employees through the Talent Alliance) PLUS office closures and up to 7 floating holidays for Jewish and US holidays
• 401(k): up to 3% matching after one year of employment
• Flexible Spending Account options
• Quarterly paid day of service to give back to your community
• Highly qualified, creative, and go-getter teammates and a dedicated supervisor
• Company discounts on flights, hotels, sporting events, concerts amusement parks, gyms, and more through Plum Benefits
• Schedule options to accommodate your work and lifestyle
• Opportunity to work in one of our Moishe House Hub Offices (Encinitas, Chicago, New York, Washington, D.C., or Charlotte)!
How Moishe House pays you:
• Moishe House’s starting salary ranges are based on education, experience, location, and skillset required for each role
• Starting salary range for this position:
• Charlotte, NC: $60,000-$65,000
• Chicago, IL or Encinitas, CA: $64,000-$68,000
• NYC or DC: $70,000-$73,000
• Annual merit-based salary increase
How Moishe House invests in you:
• $1,0000 USD annual professional development fund
• One-on-one Jewish learning with an educator of your choice
• Local professional learning opportunities
• Opportunities for advancement through career path planning