What is pizza without cheese? For those who can’t, or choose not to, eat cheese it, can mean looking on in envy as others celebrate National Pizza Week.
What’s happening: Axios Charlotte reader Brandi Collier asked us, on behalf of everyone who loves pizza but has a dairy allergy or is lactose intolerant, for suggestions on where they too can enjoy a slice.
- But it couldn’t just be dairy free pizza. It has to taste amazing, and “maybe even like pizza with real cheese,” she wrote.
1. Blaze Pizza
It’s more than vegan cheese at Blaze. They offer vegan spicy chorizo too.
- Other vegan options include their original dough and high-rise dough.
Try their vegan Margherita and il fungo.
- The vegan Margherita includes San Marzano pomodoro, oregano, vegan cheese, garlic, fresh basil and garlic oil.
- Il fungo features smoke cured portobellos, San Marzano pomodoro, vegan cheese, cartelized onions and garlic, baby spinach and chili oil.
My thought bubble: Il fungo has a surprising kick from the chili oil. The shaved vegan cheese is perfect for those who hate stringy cheese. It also tastes good the next morning as cold breakfast pizza.
Everything is fair game at this vegan restaurant.
- Try the mushroom arugula, which comes with house white sauce, vegan mozzarella cheese, mushrooms with garlic oil, crushed red peppers and capers, all topped with fresh arugula.
Their vegan veg out includes Mellow red sauce, Follow Your Heart vegan cheese, spinach, green peppers, sliced mushrooms, sweet onions, black olives and Roma tomatoes.
- Create your own pizza using Follow Your Heart vegan cheese.
5. Osteria LuCa
They offer Daiya vegan cheese. With the exception of the cauliflower gluten-free crust, their dough is also vegan.
- Try the puttanesca, which features tomatoes, olives, capers, chili flakes and garlic, but you’ll swap out the mozzarella for vegan cheese.
6. Pure Pizza
Vegan cheese is here for you.
- Try The Mediterranean, trading mozzarella and feta for vegan cheese, but keep the spinach, olives, tomato and picked onion.
Swap out regular cheese for vegan cheese.
- Go for the Grandma vodka sauce pizza for a thin Sicilian with fresh mozzarella, which you’re trading for their vegan cheese, and vodka sauce.
8. Tony’s Pizza
Trade regular cheese for vegan cheese.
- You’re enjoying a New York-style pizza, but on your terms. That’s very New York of you.
Their whole wheat dough and gluten free doughs are vegan, along with their cheese. They use Daiya vegan cheese too.
- Try the CYO, where you choose the dough, sauce and up to five toppings.
10. Why Not Pizza
Another win for Daiya vegan cheese.
- Build your own 18 or 20-inch pizza.
- It features homemade San Marzano tomato sauce, fresh basil olive oil and fresh garlic.