Academic Records Specialist
Located in the heart of the nation’s second fastest-growing metropolitan area, Queens University of Charlotte leverages the city’s diverse and thriving environment as an extended classroom. Nationally recognized for undergraduate programs in international and interdisciplinary education, Queens blends the best of liberal arts learning with professional preparation and community engagement. Focused on supporting success for diverse learners, faculty build close and collaborative relationships with students and help them build intentional and individualized roadmaps for flourishing at Queens and beyond. At the graduate program level, the University offers innovative educational experiences that help learners advance professionally and retool for new opportunities. Our environs afford faculty myriad opportunities to advance their own professional growth and teaching and research interests by collaborating with vibrant industry, non-profit, and community organization sectors.
Because of our history of innovation and our legacy of strong leadership, Queens is positioned to be among the new forerunners of American higher education. This is a defining moment for Queens. While other institutions are focused on sustaining and surviving, we are thinking much bigger.
Institutions that understand what is needed and are willing to reimagine what is possible can position themselves to thrive and strengthen their market position after the pandemic with innovative approaches that are deeply connected to the world and its greatest challenges.
By 2030, Queens aspires to become the leading, private, national university of Charlotte with deep, meaningful, and reciprocal connections to the needs of our local community and economy; inventive and multidisciplinary academic programs that are connected to the world’s most pressing challenges and biggest areas of opportunity; a fully connected, integrated, and innovative set of experiences that support holistic wellness and wellbeing; a culture of continuous improvement and investment that enables faculty and staff to flourish and achieve their full potential; and a comprehensive approach to diversity, equity, and inclusion that begins on campus and radiates throughout the community.
The Academic Records Specialist is a full-time, benefits-eligible position responsible for administering the operations of the student records function including student records management, student registration. This role provides exceptional customer service in-person, over the phone or via email. This position is not exempt from provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and is eligible to earn overtime pay for hours worked above 40 in a single work week.
Duties and responsibilities:
• Interact regularly with current students, former students, and faculty, providing exceptional customer services by answering questions accurately and providing academic policy information
• Process student status changes (i.e., readmission of students, withdrawals, leave of absences, study abroad, disciplinary updates, University/major suspensions, academic standing, etc.)
• Review grades and consult with faculty to determine last dates of attendance for students who have never attended or stopped attending
• Work collaboratively with staff across the University, including Admissions, Student Financial Services, Institutional Research, Information Services, and academic units
• Serve as the point of contact with consortium universities and students
• Assist with degree audits and communication with students and advisors
• Work with the Assistant Registrar to develop and implement internal procedures to ensure the graduate and undergraduate degree candidates are fulfilling degree requirements per University regulations
• Oversee the registration of special student groups including, but not limited to, ABSN, BSN, online graduate students, etc
• May be responsible for the generation, analysis, and calculation of reports
• Other duties and special projects may be assigned to meet department and university needs.
Experience, knowledge and skills:
• Experience working in an office environment, higher education setting preferred
• Demonstrated proficiency in MS Office applications
• Ability to uphold the confidentiality of personal and sensitive information
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Must be capable of handling difficult and sensitive situations in a caring, professional manner
• Exceptional follow-up and follow-through skills as well as ability to plan, organize and control assignments and projects through to completion. Attention to detail and accuracy are a must
• Ability to understand crucial nature of data and demonstrate its impact on the Office of the Registrar and institution and performs duties in a proactive, strategic manner
• Effective time-management skills and the ability to manage several projects at once with frequent interruptions
• Ability to work independently and contribute to a team environment
• Associate degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
Queens offers comprehensive benefits to eligible employees, including: medical, dental and vision insurance, domestic partner benefits, defined contribution (matching) and supplemental 403(b) retirement plans, vacation and generous paid holidays, tuition remission and tuition exchange, Queens- paid life insurance, supplemental life insurance, dependent life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, flexible spending accounts (medical, dependent care, Health Savings Account), sick leave and long-term disability leave, paid parental leave, FMLA leave when eligible, reduced cost meals at Morrison Dining Hall, employee assistance program (EAP), free access to the Levine Center, wellness programs. In addition, employees may choose benefits such as pet insurance, critical care insurance and legal assistance.
Physical requirements (with or without reasonable accommodation)
• Visual Abilities: Read reports, create presentations, and use a computer system
• Hearing: Hear well enough to communicate with co-workers, vendors, and students
• Dexterity, Grasping, Feeling: Write, type, and use the telephone, copier, and computer systems
• Mobility: Open files and operate office machines; move between departments and attend meetings across campus
• Talking: Frequently convey detailed or important instructions and ideas accurately, loudly, or quickly
• Lifting, Pulling, Pushing: Exert up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up-to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or up-to 5 pounds of force constantly to move objects
• Cognitive/Emotional: Ability to critically think and concentrate. Must be able to respond quickly to changes in conditions – 75-100% of the time
• Work in office environment, involving contact with students, faculty, staff, parents, service providers and vendors
• Work has deadlines, multiple interruptions, high volume and may be stressful at times
This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of this positions, nor are they intended to be such a listing of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended to describe the general nature of this position.
Queens University of Charlotte is an equal opportunity employer and is firmly committed to supporting and celebrating all forms of diversity. Queens does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, national origin, disability, political beliefs, veteran status, genetic information or any characteristic protected by law in the administration of its educational and admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, athletic programs, employment and hiring policies, or other University-administered programs.
Any individual with a disability who needs any reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act to apply for a position or otherwise to participate in Queens’ job search/selection process should contact the Director of Human Resources at 704.337.2222.