Digital Media Content Director
JazzArts Charlotte, formally Jazz Arts Initiative, is a Charlotte-based nonprofit arts organization committed to connecting community and developing an audience for jazz through quality education, performance and musician support. Established in 2009 by co-founders Lonnie and Ocie Davis, JazzArts strives to serve as a catalyst for cultural enrichment and music education that brings creative inspiration to the lives of people in the Charlotte region. Since its founding, JazzArts has grown considerably to include two primary programmatic offerings: The Jazz Room, a 4-6 performance monthly concert offering in uptown Charlotte taking place on Friday and Saturday nights, and JazzArts Academy, comprised of youth workshops and ensembles, camps and community engagement in local schools. Earned revenue from the Jazz Room coupled with contributed revenue fuels the JazzArts Academy, which provides jazz music education for thousands of students annually.
JazzArts Charlotte is seeking a creative and experienced Digital Media Content Director to join our team. If you love creating high-quality and engaging website and social media content to drive audience development and organizational success, we want you on our team. As the Digital Media Content Director, you will be responsible for developing and implementing the overall digital content strategy based on JazzArts Charlotte’s goals and objectives and creating a positive user experience for all visitors. As part of the team, you’ll combine proven and innovative digital strategies with the objectives and resources of our team to push JazzArts forward.
We’re always looking for new ways to get the word out about our work, which may include running tests to see which content resonates the most with our audience. The ideal candidate for this role will have a passion for Jazz and music/arts education, as well as an interest in communications, website management, and external relations. Must be a team player dedicated to continuous improvement, staff engagement and driven to perform at a superior level. This person will play a key role in charting the organization’s digital content and growth strategy. The ideal candidate is more than an analytics junkie. This is a part-time position working 30 hour/week plus monthly Jazz Room shows.
• Oversee all digital efforts on a day-to-day basis, including video content editing and live streaming
• Curates, posts and edits high-quality engaging original content for use on online properties with a goal of growing digital audiences
• Regularly monitors digital trends and results, participating actively in monthly and quarterly metrics analysis and reporting for JazzArts leadership. Use content management systems to analyze website traffic and users engagement metrics
• Works to understand available data and trends at all three levels of the user journey funnel (acquisition, engagement and conversion) and takes steps to advance progress at all three levels. Uses that data as part of close collaborations with President, Marketing Director and team, business partners to continuously enhance content on social media, website and improve overall content quality
• Ensures that messaging and digital content aligns with the vision and strategies
• Optimizes content according to SEO; Become the organizational subject matter expert on: SEO, Google Analytics, Google Ads, Google Tag Manager
• Works to be a voice of innovation in the organization and inspire others; generate new ideas to draw the audience’s attention
• Delivers timely content, accurate and relevant for the social media audiences and website users
• Builds and maintains effective working relationships with staff, volunteers, writers, contractors, and other digital support professionals engaging in digital content development and online program participation
• Manage various special projects within the organization, as needed
• Understands, interprets and communicates digital capabilities/limitations to President
• Reports expenses timely, attend trainings in support of professional growth or a development plan, and supports events and programs that are an integral part of JazzArts Charlotte’s culture and fundraising efforts
• Ensure compliance with law (e.g., copyright and data protection)
Qualifications and requirements:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Writing, English, Journalism, Music, Communications, or related area
• 3+ years of experience leading content management and development, creating online spaces that inspire action
• Strong narrative writing and proofreading skills; having the ability to inspire while also being concise and on-brand
• Strong organizational and time-management skills
• Proven leadership skills
• Excellent communication skills – verbal and written – and good attention to detail
• Understanding of Google Ads and SEO best-practices, and desire to advance your mastery of this work
• Ability to collaborate and work across with a diverse group in a fluid environment to lead a project to completion
• Computer literacy (WordPress and all MS Office products, Internet Explorer and other browsers)
• Familiarity with a content management system and a basic understanding of HTML, and web publishing
• Comfort translating the JazzArts mission, vision and programs for digital channels
• Experience with navigating through data to uncover key patterns and actionable takeaways; comfort with formulas and manipulating data
• Use of and familiarity with a variety of digital tools, web-related tools (including video APIs) used to handle content generated for web pages, or appearing in digital magazines, interactive tools, apps, blogs, and videos
• Familiarity and appreciation for the Jazz artform, and history (Classic and Modern) a plus
Beginning January 4, 2022 all inquiries, nominations and applications are to be directed via e-mail to email@example.com. Applications must include a cover letter and CV/resume. Please indicate where you learned of the opportunity. No phone calls please.
To learn more about JazzArts Charlotte please visit: www.TheJazzArts.org
JazzArts is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in its work and staff. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable state or federal law. Jazz Arts encourages candidates of all groups and communities to apply for this position.