Voice & Swallowing Specialist
CEENTA’s Voice & Swallowing Department is growing. We are looking for a Voice & Swallowing Specialist to provide computerized and endoscopic evaluations and therapy to patients referred with voice disorders, swallowing disorders, shortness of breath, head and neck cancer, and chronic cough disorders. This position requires a Master’s degree is Speech Language Pathology with a concentration in Voice & Swallowing Disorders and candidates must have completed their clinical fellowship year.
• Perform rigid and flexible endoscopic/stroboscopic FEES procedures with accurate and comprehensive interpretation including treatment plan establishment
• Perform computerized acoustic analysis and therapy-based procedures
• Working seated for therapy and other procedures and for computer-based tasks including documentation of notes in EPIC, messaging in EPIC, teletherapy in MyCEENTA chart in EPIC, and e-mails
• Utilize auditory and visual analysis during evaluations and therapy intervention
• Provide clear verbal instructions for all procedures and interventions
• Provide written instructions as indicated for therapy-based tasks
• Complete progress-note summaries and evaluation notes in a timely manner / within 48 hours of the service
• Dexterity of hands, arms and strength in holding endoscopic equipment during exams
• Perform endoscopic and swallowing study examinations in the standing position for extended periods
• Assist family members in transferring patients from wheelchair to exam chairs
• Work with head and neck cancer patients for voice & swallowing disorders
• Work with laryngectomy patients for evaluation prior to surgery and establishing alaryngeal communication post-surgery via TEP placement and management, electrolarynx communication, and HME set up. Involves extended periods of standing
• Perform Clinical Swallowing evaluations and establish scheduling for objective testing via MBSS or FEES
• Perform evaluation of shortness of breath (SOB), exercise induced SOB, medically based SOB or VCD / PVFM and chronic cough. Involves extended periods of standing and double scoping post provocative testing
• Retrieve patients from waiting room for all sessions
• Ability to meet the physical and mental demands of the position
• The ability to work on-site
• Predictable, reliable, and prompt attendance
Skills and abilities:
• Proficient in Microsoft Excel
• Proficient in Electronic Medical Record systems
• Ability to communicate professionally (written and verbal)
• Proficient in computer-based analysis of voice
Making patients and their needs a primary focus of one’s actions; developing and sustaining productive patient relationships.
Building patient loyalty
Effectively meeting patient needs; building productive patient relationships; taking responsibility for patient satisfaction and loyalty
Clearly conveying information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.
Taking prompt action to accomplish objectives; taking action to achieve goals beyond what is required; being proactive.
Identifying and understanding issues, problems, and opportunities; comparing data from different sources to draw conclusions; using effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; taking action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
Personal and professional ethics
Demonstrate integrity, resilience, accountability and ethical behavior.
The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
Maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work tasks or the work environment; adjusting effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
• Flexible and rigid endoscopic procedures and interpretation
• Clinical swallow and oral motor examinations
• Acoustic analyses
• FEES and MBSS procedures
• Evaluation and therapeutic intervention for voice and swallowing disorders
• Circumlaryngeal massage and / or myofascial release
• Prefer FEES training, RVT training, LSVT certification, MDTP certification
• Laryngectomy care / establishment of alaryngeal communication / TEP placement and trouble shooting
• Provision of teletherapy services
• Experience with VCD / PVFM / disordered breathing / chronic cough
• Knowledge of appropriate use of PPE for various procedures
• Knowledge of disinfecting rigid and flexible scopes and procedure room surfaces
• Knowledge of Cidex testing and leak testing for flexible scopes