A new Asheville hotel named District Brewery will include a brewery, restaurant, hotel rooms, condos and a rooftop food truck. Construction starts in 2022.
Why it matters in Charlotte: Charlotte loves breweries and Charlotte loves its neighboring mountain towns. This new concept will be a weekend getaway destination for people living here.
What: The building will have three floors total, plus a rooftop event space. “I want that entire building to be what Asheville is: local art, local products, local beers,” Charlotte developer Brett Krueger told Axios.
- District Brewery will be next to next to Burial in Asheville’s South Slope neighborhood, the town’s brewery district.
Layout: The first floor will include a restaurant and brewery space. The brewery will either be a new brand or be a space where existing brewers can come together to sell their beer, said Krueger, who’s also the developer behind a planned Lake Norman hotel.
- The boutique hotel will occupy the second floor with 25 rooms.
- The third floor will have 10 condos that can be rented out as Airbnbs.
- Krueger is airlifting a food truck onto the rooftop event space.
- The parking garage will be underground.
Design: Krueger worked on the The Ivey’s in Charlotte and has a flare for eclectic design. He wants District Brewery to fit in with the neighborhood so the exterior will be brick.
- The interior will have a layered look with a mix of modern finishes, antique furniture and interesting chandeliers.
Timeline: The project was approved by Asheville’s Planning and Zoning Commission in early November. Construction is slated to start mid-2022.
Zoom out: Krueger has a couple of other projects in the works, in addition to the Lake Norman hotel and this brewery hotel.
- He bought the historic Empire Hotel from the city of Salisbury. He’ll revamp the 1855 hotel, which will include 55 apartments, 23 hotel rooms, a spa and steakhouse restaurant.
- He’s working on a ski-in-ski-out project on Beech Mountain with 32 condos. They’ll be the only ski-in-ski-out properties on the mountain.
- All will start construction in 2022.
“I just want to do cool stuff I’m proud of that’ll make a difference in the community,” Krueger said.