Strategic Marketing Copywriter
Under the direction of the Senior Graphics & Digital Designer and consistent with the Christian mission of the YMCA, the Strategic Marketing Copywriter will be responsible for leading the strategy, creation and management of the Association’s copy and content delivery efforts. We are looking for a talented writer who can create quality, effective communications and manage a revitalization of our online Association, Branch and Camp communications. This position will work collaboratively across the Association (at both the branch and association level) to lead, plan, develop and execute advertising copy, social media, web and email content strategies that support the Association’s growth priorities while adhering to the YUSA and the YMCA of Greater Charlotte graphic standards and messaging priorities.
• Develop strategy and tactical execution plan for Association communications and content that shares positive news, outcomes, volunteer efforts, employee engagement, and communications for key Y initiatives across all channels and multiple audiences
• Write, edit and proofread engaging communications (including advertising copy, email content, web site content, media responses, social media content, and more) that balance creativity, clarity, and brand integrity
• Lead content creation from the development of key strategic concepts and benefit statements through execution of tactical marketing copy
• Analyze business needs and challenges, and create content, marketing copy, and corporate brand communications that respond to those needs and support the organization’s mission, vision, and business goals
• Quickly analyze complex scenarios, determine where communications can add value and recommend appropriate solutions
• Create and implement Association communications and media initiatives that support both marketing efforts and Association business objectives.
• Create communications that are consistent and integrated with internal and external communications projects
• Understand and analyze key data and metrics for Association programs, initiatives, and audiencess; analyze and create reports to evaluate the effectiveness of strategic initiatives; and recommend adjustments to future tactics and campaigns based on findings
• Work closely with employee communications, marketing, public relations, community relations and other social media teams to effectively coordinate communications efforts across multiple channels and departments
• Monitor social media and online content to identify issues and develop appropriate communications plans, response strategies, key messaging and digital content as required
• Create prompt and appropriate responses to even the most challenging communications with respect and professionalism, ensuring brand guidelines and company reputation are protected
• Enforce online community guidelines and methods as needed
• Manage multiple strategic projects while also personally executing on day-to-day work of content creation
• Create and manage an editorial calendar in collaboration with outside departments
• Serve as key member of marketing team, providing expertise on copy and content best practices, risks, emerging trends and opportunities
YMCA competencies (Leader):
Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
• Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience
• Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members
Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
• A minimum of 4 years of experience in marketing communications
• A bachelor’s degree in English, Marketing, Communications or Journalism
• Exceptional writing, editing, and proofreading skills required
• Professional experience in creating campaign and standalone emails and content
• Professional experience in creating and updating web content using a Content Management System (CMS)
• Professional experience and proficiency in managing corporate social media sites such as
• Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, Pinterest, etc.
• Proven ability to independently create polished, engaging and grammatically correct digital content that meets defined business objectives across multiple channels and platforms (email, websites and social media)
• Talent and desire to create new, innovative strategies and ideas
• Experience in a fast-paced environment requiring a sense of urgency
• High degree of flexibility and ability to maintain a positive attitude when responding to challenges
• Experience in metrics, measurement and reporting for social media, SEO, and digital content
• Experience managing/directing designers or vendors through the process of creating of social shareables, video and other interactive content
• Strong project management skills and experience managing multiple projects concurrently
• Outstanding personal time management skills and ability to complete projects independently
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to thrive working collaboratively in a team environment
• Experience in crisis communications and issues management preferred
• Sit for extended periods of time
• Push, pull and lift up to 30 lb
• Ability to work in excess of a 40-hour week with irregular work hours
• Ability to speak concisely and effectively communicate
• Ability to travel as needed
• Ability to communicate in English, written and oral.
• This is an hourly position with the ability to work remotely. Must reside in Charlotte