It’s the most wine-derful time of the year. These holiday-themed pop-ups are sure to raise your holiday spirits, just don’t get too blitzened.
(1) Christmas bar at Billy Sunday
Billy Sunday is a cocktail bar on the first floor of Optimist Hall. This year, it’s transforming the inside of the space into a “holiday extravaganza for the eyes & taste buds,” according to Billy Sunday’s beverage director Stephanie Andrews.
What to expect: Holiday-themed cocktails, warm drinks, and a totally transformed space.
- Plus weekly events like a Kris Kringle pop-up market with local vendors, a visit from Santa for pictures with your pets, a holiday cocktail class, Billy Sunday’s annual holiday party, s’mores on the patio and movie night on Wednesdays.
- You can also drop off letters to Santa inside.
Details: The Christmas bar will operate from Dec. 1-Jan. 2.
- It’ll be open 5-10pm on weekdays, 5-midnight on Friday 4-midnight on Saturday and 12-10pm on Sunday.
- The address is: 1115 N Brevard St.
(2) Sippin’ Santa at The Royal Tot
Sippin’ Santa is a festive tiki pop-up by Beachbum Berry.
What to expect: Tropical, holiday-themed cocktails, holiday music bingo on Wednesdays, holiday burlesque on Thursdays and visits from Santa and Mrs. Claus on Saturdays.
Details: Nov. 11-Dec. 31.
- Open 5-11pm Wednesday and Thursday, 3pm-midnight Saturdays, 1-7pm Sundays. Closed on Monday and Tuesday.
- The address is: 933 Louise Ave Suite 350
(3) Miracle at Backstage Lounge
Backstage Lounge is a speakeasy behind SouthBound and unlike last year, no reservations are needed this year.
Details: Miracle will be open Nov. 23-Dec.31.
- Hours of operation will be 5pm-midnight Sunday-Thursday and 5pm-1am Friday-Saturday.
- The address is: 2433 South Blvd.
(4) “Ugly Holiday Sweater” Speakeasy at Supperland
Supperland’s Speakeasy (located beneath the restaurant) is a hidden gem. Themed cocktail/dinner pairings are hosted there regularly and the next one’s theme is “Ugly Holiday Sweater.”
What to expect: Four cocktails, each paired with a dish created by Supperland’s culinary team.
- Attendees are encouraged to dress in their best ugly holiday sweater for a chance to win a $100 Supperland gift card.
Details: Dec. 3-Jan. 7.
- Wednesday-Saturday 6-8:30pm.
- Tickets are $140 per person.
- The address is: 1212 The Plaza
(5) Winter WonderBar at Papa Doc’s
Okay, technically Papa Doc’s is in Lake Wylie, not Charlotte, but Axios Charlotte newsletter readers tell me it’s worth the drive.
What to expect: Festive cocktails and decorations, plus live music and visits from Santa.
- Pro tip: Pull up to Papa Doc’s on Dec.10 to watch the Lake Wylie Christmas boat parade.
Details: The Winter Wonderbar will be open every Thursday-Saturday through December.
- The address is: 3990 Charlotte Hwy, Lake Wylie, SC.
(6) Sippin’ Santa at Thigs Cocktail Bar in Lake Norman
Just a 30-minute drive from Uptown, Thigs has been transformed into a winter wonderland.
What to expect: This 21+ bar has Christmas-themed cocktails, festive decorations and activities planned throughout the holiday season.
- The “largest ugly sweater party in history” on Saturday, Dec.3.
- Sip & Shop Christmas Market on Dec. 17 from 3-6pm.
- Reservations recommended. Walk-ins welcome.
Details: Nov. 25th—Dec.31
- Address: 21234 Catawba Ave, Cornelius, NC.
Editor’s note: This story was originally published in November 2021 and updated in November 2022 to reflect the current holiday happenings.