Field Service Technician/Mechanic
Carolina Handling is more than a company. It’s a culture. Our team is passionate about what we do, because this is how we live our lives. We are makers, tinkers, builders and dreamers. We are always working on our craft. Our culture defines our company. Because you can’t build a business without drive and passion.
Our Technicians and Service staff are a big reason why we have an outstanding reputation in the material handling industry. Along with expertly servicing lift trucks and equipment, they are often the main point of contact for our customers. That’s why we put so much into the hiring, training and continued development of our Technicians and Service professionals. Whether you’re an experienced Tech or just interested in changing career paths, we can help you get to the next level.
To troubleshoot electro-mechanical problems, installations, and perform unscheduled repairs and scheduled maintenance on equipment based on customer demand and need. To provide complete customer satisfaction in a polite and professional manner while working in a Team environment.
• Effectively analyzes problem situations pertaining to breakdowns of customer equipment and recommends action necessary to correct situation to customer
• Exhibits a professional demeanor, promotes goodwill between the company and customers by providing a superior level of customer service
• Observes analyzes and determines the corrective course of action for service and repair of customer equipment
• Performs necessary repairs to correct analyzed situations in a professional and productive manner
• Performs scheduled maintenance on equipment for contracted customers according to Carolina Handling Scheduled Maintenance policies and procedures and proactively addresses needed repairs with Customer
• Prepares necessary documentation relating to each service call in a neat and accurate manner
• Follows safety rules and ensures that hazardous waste is disposed of properly
• Performs proficiency assessment
• Account for 100% of paid time
• Performs other duties as assigned
Other duties and responsibilities:
• Maintains parts and supplies inventory in service van
• Maintains service van to ensure that it is clean, organized and hazard-free inside and out
• Assure that regular maintenance is performed on the service van (i.e. oil changes, tire rotations, etc.) and that required repairs are performed
• Performs factory-authorized modifications per specifications
• Responsible for providing personal tools required for performing the job effectively and safely
• Responsible for keeping work area clean and free of clutter and keeping tools clean and in good repair
• Responsible for following customer’s safety and housekeeping guidelines when performing repairs at customer site
• Performs other duties as assigned
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
• High school education, plus one to three years mechanical, electrical and hydraulic experience in a similar environment or equivalent in college or vocational education
• Ability to communicate effectively with customers, management and co-workers
• Ability to read and interpret schematics
• Ability to read and understand necessary service and training manuals
• Ability to understand and follow verbal and/or demonstrated instructions
• Ability to perform arithmetic calculations involving fractions, decimals and percentages
• Ability to maintain a good understanding of industry innovations and product availability in order to make recommendations based on customer need
• Ability to effectively utilize volt, ohm and multi-meters
• Demonstrate a good mechanical and electrical aptitude
• Ability to safely operate drills, grinders, presses, forklift, hoists, overhead cranes and personal hand tools
• Ability to draw upon available support resources from within the company and recognize when it is appropriate to do such
• Such other knowledge, skills and abilities as are necessary in connection with additionally assigned duties
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms; talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to walk, sit, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds; frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Works in a variety of customer environments including manufacturing, distribution, cold storage, and out of doors with exposure to elements. The employee is generally exposed to oil, grease and dirt. Potential exposure to equipment movement hazards and dangerous chemicals/solvents if proper safety procedures are not followed. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places and fumes, solvents or airborne particles. The noise level varies from customer to customer but is usually in the moderate to noisy level.
This position also entails the necessity to work weekly overtime, occasionally work after normal working hours or on weekends based on customer need, as well as the ability to travel overnight, generally by automobile and occasionally by airplane.