Uptown Yolk’s new South End location has an opening date — Wednesday, May 10.
What’s happening: The breakfast and lunch spot from James-Beard nominated chef Greg Collier and his business partner and wife Subrina Collier will open its new location at 8am.
- Uptown Yolk will occupy 3,200 square feet of ground-level retail space in the 635,000-square-foot corporate campus development.
Menu: Expect coffee, cocktails, pastries and Uptown Yolk favorites like:
- Tennessee fries ($6).
- Sweet potato waffles served with pecan butter and maple whipped cream ($10).
- Mojo hash: a coffee-braised steak, diced sweet potatoes, roasted mushrooms with an over-easy egg and scallion pesto ($16).
- Benny baja: a seasonal veggie benedict with two poached eggs and hollandaise ($15).
Details: The 3,200-square-foot restaurant includes a full bar and seating for more than 100 people.
- Chef Collier and chef Brandon Staton will lead the kitchen.
- Charlotte artist Garrison Gist painted a mural inside the restaurant.
- Uptown Yolk will be open 8am-3pm Wednesday through Sunday.
- It’s located at 1220 S. Tryon St., Suite 500 in the new Vantage South End building.
- They got their start with breakfast (and those Tennessee fries) — first with a Yolk in Rock Hill in 2012 and then with their @Dawn in Arysley in 2016.
- They took the Yolk to 7th Street Public Market in January 2019 before closing it in March of 2021.
Context: Uptown Yolk left 7th Street Public Market in March of 2021, adding favorites to the Leah & Louise menu, Camp North End’s first brick and mortar restaurant, which they opened in 2020.
- Leah & Louise and Uptown Yolk are part of the Colliers’ BayHaven Restaurant Group.
What they’re saying: “Expanding to a full-service restaurant will allow us to bring the best brunch concept in Charlotte to people on a wider scale and expand our clientele,” Greg said in a statement.
Greg and Subrina also co-founded Soul Food Sessions, a pop-up dinner series highlighting Black chefs and providing scholarships for aspiring culinary professionals.
- Most recently, they founded BayHaven Food & Wine Festival, a multi-day celebration of Black foodways.
- The inaugural festival took place in October 2021 at Camp North End.
Editor’s note: This story was first published in November 2021 and was updated in May 2023 to reflect Uptown Yolk’s opening date.