The athleisure brand Outdoor Voices will open early 2022 on the ground floor of the new Lowe’s tower in South End.
Lucy Butler with THRIFT Commercial Real Estate Services confirmed the news for Axios.
Why it matters: Charlotte’s landed several national retailers — from the RH rooftop restaurant to Barry’s – that are helping cement our place as a big city.
- Outdoor Voices’ expansion into Charlotte is another sign major companies have their eyes on us.
- Plus, OV is among many national chains Charlotteans crave, along with Zara, Wegmans and CB2.
- [Axios related story: Zara, Wegmans, Wawa and 9 other retailers Charlotte wants]
What it is: Outdoor Voices is an athletic clothing company with a loyal following, especially among millennials. They carry leggings, sports bras and the famed $100 exercise dress, which became especially popular amid the pandemic.
- The hashtag “exercise dress” has 2.6M+ views on TikTok as it became the unofficial uniform of the pandemic for many millennial women.
- The retailer carries menswear, too.
The luxury brand fits right in with Charlotte, a city that’s embraced retailers like the ones at Atherton Mill, just down the street from the Lowe’s tower.
- Atherton houses other trendy chains like Lululemon, Anthropologie, Warby Parker, Cava, Barry’s and Free People — all with customer bases similar to OV’s.
Of note: Nationwide, millions of office workers have traded in their pencil skirts for sweatpants and leggings. As a result, demand for athleisure has surged, as CNN and others have reported.
So far, the store has about a dozen brick-and-mortar locations, including in Houston, Chicago, L.A., New York, Dallas and D.C. This will be its first in North Carolina.
My thought bubble: As someone who deeply covets a trendy exercise dress but needs to try that sort of thing on in person, I’m pumped OV is expanding to Charlotte.
- Location: The storefront faces Camden and is in the middle of three retail spaces. Expect it to open early next year.