The powerhouse team of Not Just Coffee and Undercurrent will open their first café together this week called Night Swim Coffee.
Timeline: The coffee shop and café will celebrate its grand opening this Saturday, October 23 at 8am. It will soft open Thursday, October 21 with a limited drinks-only menu.
The big picture: The owners of two of Charlotte’s best coffee shops put their heads together to build Night Swim, which will operate four cafés and one roastery by early 2022. And that’s just the start — the team wants to grow beyond Charlotte, too.
- “To grow, you need a bigger team,” Miracle Yoder, co-owner of NJC, told me earlier this year when they first announced the partnership.
[Related Axios story: Big coffee news: Not Just Coffee, Undercurrent teaming up for roastery and 4 cafés]
What’s next: The next location to open will be in the new Bank of America building at Legacy Union campus on South Tryon in Uptown, followed shortly by the roastery and café space in lower South End at 4500 Old Pineville Road. The fourth location will come later at a to-be-announced Uptown location.
Vibe: Night Swim’s sleek café is flooded with natural light inside and has plenty of tables outside, too. Most of the tables have access to electrical outlets, making it a great spot to get some work done.
Drink menu: The full menu is pictured below, but here are a few highlights.
- Batch brew coffee, $3 for 12-ounce
- Japanese iced coffee, $3.75 for 16-ounce
- Latte, $5 for 12-ounce — add a flavor like maple cardamom for $1
- Golden milk, $5 for 12-ounce
Food menu: The full menu is pictured below, but here are a few highlights.
- Avocado toast, $8.75, with harissa, toasted almonds, lime picked onions and pea shoots. Add an egg for $2.
- Breakfast sandwich, $6.25, with egg, goat cheese, za’atar and sun-dried tomato aioli.
- Rotating frittata using seasonal and local ingredients, $7.50.
Location: 1620 Oakhurst Commons Dr. in the same shopping center as AmiMya, Retention Nails and Swirl Cupcakes.
Here’s a closer look around:
Editor’s note: This story was updated to show that the next location will be at the Bank of America Tower on the Legacy Union site on South Tryon. A previous version called the building the Legacy Union building.