Student Accounts Specialist
Located in the heart of the nation’s second fastest-growing metropolitan area, Queens University of Charlotte leverages the city’s diverse and thriving environment as an extended classroom. Nationally recognized for undergraduate programs in international and interdisciplinary education, Queens blends the best of liberal arts learning with professional preparation and community engagement. Focused on supporting success for diverse learners, faculty build close and collaborative relationships with students and help them build intentional and individualized roadmaps for flourishing at Queens and beyond. At the graduate program level, the University offers innovative educational experiences that help learners advance professionally and retool for new opportunities. Our environs afford faculty myriad opportunities to advance their own professional growth and teaching and research interests by collaborating with vibrant industry, non-profit, and community organization sectors.
Because of our history of innovation and our legacy of strong leadership, Queens is positioned to be among the new forerunners of American higher education. This is a defining moment for Queens. While other institutions are focused on sustaining and surviving, we are thinking much bigger. Institutions that understand what is needed and are willing to reimagine what is possible can position themselves to thrive and strengthen their market position after the pandemic with innovative approaches that are deeply connected to the world and its greatest challenges.
By 2030, Queens aspires to become the leading, private, national university of Charlotte with deep, meaningful, and reciprocal connections to the needs of our local community and economy; inventive and multidisciplinary academic programs that are connected to the world’s most pressing challenges and biggest areas of opportunity; a fully connected, integrated, and innovative set of experiences that support holistic wellness and wellbeing; a culture of continuous improvement and investment that enables faculty and staff to flourish and achieve their full potential; and a comprehensive approach to diversity, equity, and inclusion that begins on campus and radiates throughout the community.
Queens University of Charlotte is seeking a highly motivated and skilled individual with excellent customer service skills to fill a full-time position as a Student Account Specialist. The ideal candidate will have previous experience working with student accounts, collecting tuition payments and fees, and managing numerous CRMs. The Student Account Specialist is responsible for assisting students and their families with detailed financial matters while also providing exceptional customer service the Queens community. This position is not exempt from provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and is eligible to earn overtime pay or compensatory time off for additional hours worked.
• Provide excellent customer service and information on a variety of topics related to Student Account Services to students, staff, parents, and community members, via various communication methods, including phone, virtual meetings, and email
• Manage all communication and updates for Students Account Services regarding important bill due dates, billing information, collections, etc. Prepare clear, concise, and high-quality correspondence and provide updates to resolve and collect student account payments
• Responsible for prompt and accurate posting of incoming payments (Cashnet, wire transfers, or mailed checks) and scholarship receivables. Process payments through the Remote Deposit System and retain organized backup for audit and record-keeping
• Manage and ensure accurate and timely posting and reconciliation for billing attached to student accounts from campus police uploads, housing fines, management of bookstore feeds by term coordinated with IT, upload and manage entries for waivers for health insurance charges
• Assist with the review and the adjustment of weekly posting of loans and grants fed through PowerFAIDS. Ensure all feeds balance and that the Department of Education spreadsheet is accurately documented and reconciled
• Responsible for monthly billing and collections (related to current Queens University accounts) from students and various third-party organizations
• Assist with the review and the adjustment of student invoices in order to post and process credit bills (refunds) to student accounts. Assist with credit bill file submission to the Finance Office
• Coordinate and reconcile tuition payment plans for parents and students via CashNet for each term
• Assist Sr. Director of Student Accounts with preparing end-of-month reports detailing student account activity
• Manage the Bookstore dates with IT and send messaging as is appropriate and updating the Student Financial Services calendar
• Comply with all institutional, state, and federal policies, guidelines, and regulations
• Follow policies and procedures to ensure positive, effective, and open relationships with all clients of Student Financial Services-Student Accounts including students, parents, faculty, staff, and administrators. Serves on committees as needed to facilitate all university programs, processes, and initiatives
Experience, knowledge and skills:
• Proven excellent customer service skills and enthusiasm for providing exceptional service to a diverse population of graduate and undergraduate students, their families, staff, faculty, and other constituencies
• Technically competent and proficient in Microsoft Office. Jenzabar, PowerFAIDS and/or CashNet experience a plus
• Strong written and verbal communication skills and a gift for identifying information that should be escalated immediately
• Proven exceptional attention to detail and the ability to consistently produce error-free results
• Excellent organization and follow-up/follow-through skills to ensure completion of assignments within established timeframes
• Solid problem-solving skills and the ability to analyze components and arrive at a logical course of action while knowing when to ask for assistance or direction
• Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and to effectively prioritize assignments to meet given deadlines
• Ability to remain calm and resourceful in stressful situations
• Ability to work effectively, independently and as a member of a team
• Ability to use absolute discretion when dealing with sensitive, confidential materials; familiarity with FERPA a plus
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience and experience in higher education preferred
Queens offers comprehensive benefits to eligible employees, including: medical, dental and vision insurance, domestic partner benefits, defined contribution (matching) and supplemental 403(b) retirement plans, vacation and generous paid holidays, tuition remission and tuition exchange, Queens-paid life insurance, supplemental life insurance, dependent life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, flexible spending accounts (medical, dependent care, Health Savings Account), sick leave and long-term disability leave, paid parental leave, FMLA leave when eligible, reduced cost meals at Morrison Dining Hall, employee assistance program (EAP), free access to the Levine Center, wellness programs. In addition, employees may choose benefits such as pet insurance, critical care insurance and legal assistance.
• Visual Abilities: Read reports, create presentations, and use a computer system
• Hearing: Hear well enough to communicate with co-workers, vendors, and students
• Dexterity, Grasping, Feeling: Write, type, and use the telephone, copier, and computer systems
• Mobility: Open files and operate office machines; move between departments and attend meetings across campus
• Talking: Frequently convey detailed or important instructions and ideas accurately, loudly, or quickly
• Lifting, Pulling, Pushing: Exert up to 25 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects
• Cognitive/Emotional: Ability to critically think and concentrate. Must be able to respond quickly to changes in conditions – 75-100% of the time
• Work in office environment, involving contact with students, parents, faculty, staff, service providers and vendors.
• Work has deadlines, multiple interruptions, high volume and may be stressful at times.
The above description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of this position, nor are they intended to be such a listing of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended to describe the general nature of this position.
Qualified candidates should submit the documentation listed below via email to email@example.com in (.doc) or (.pdf) format. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Queens will continue to accept applications until the position is filled. Include the following:
1. A cover letter addressing the position qualifications and experience
2. Current CV or résumé
3. Salary requirements
4. Contact information for three professional references.
Be sure to include “SAS-SFS” and YOUR NAME in your email Subject Line.
(Example: SAS-SFS Shawn Mullin)
Applications received by November 1, 2021 will receive first consideration. Queens will continue to accept applications until the position is filled.|
Queens University of Charlotte is an equal opportunity employer and is firmly committed to supporting and celebrating all forms of diversity. Queens does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sex (including pregnancy, child birth and conditions related to pregnancy or child birth), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, national origin, disability, political beliefs, veteran status, genetic information or any characteristic protected by law in the administration of its educational and admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, athletic programs, employment and hiring policies, or other University-administered programs.
Any individual with a disability who needs any reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act to apply for a position or otherwise to participate in Queens’ job search/selection process should contact the Director of Human Resources at 704.337.2222.