We have happy news to share on this first Monday in October: Ashley Mahoney joined the Axios Charlotte family today as a reporter.
You may know Ashley’s name from her nearly seven years at the Charlotte Post, where she’s written sometimes a dozen stories stories a week and pushed the Post in new directions digitally.
She’s also launched things there:
- In 2016, she started the Queen City Football Chronicle, documenting Charlotte’s growing soccer scene. Now, you may have heard, we have an MLS team.
- In 2018, she established the Mary Mahoney Memorial Scholarship in honor of her mom, who died from cancer in August 2017. Each year the scholarship goes to a student pursuing an arts education.
What she’s doing here: Making good internet! Ashley will be writing web stories and the newsletter, creating Instagram posts and stories, and helping push our other social channels forward.
- In other words, she’ll be doing a lot of what Paige Hopkins did here, now that Paige has moved to Washington to launch the Axios Local newsletter in D.C.
What she’s saying: “My older sister, Dara, encouraged me to try Charlotte after college. Seven years later, I’m still here, developing as a journalist, in a growing city and an evolving media landscape,” Ashley says. “Axios positioned itself at the forefront of how people consume news, while keeping the heartbeat of community news. I’m ecstatic to join the Axios Charlotte team. Let’s make good internet!”
The big picture: Ashley is a lot like the rest of our staff: She’s versatile, with a range of source relationships that will allow us to cover things we’re not covering. She’s incredibly smart, loves journalism, and is a good soul who’ll make a wonderful teammate.
Fun fact: Back in 2018 Ashley and I were two of the journalists the Levine Museum invited on a bus ride to Montgomery to see the National Memorial for Peace and Justice.
- Yep, she got stuck sitting next to me for seven hours on the way down and seven hours on the way back, and still she wants to work here.
The last word: On her last day at the Post last week, Ashley’s longtime boss Herb White posted this special tribute to her and wishing her well.
- We feel lucky to have Ashley here and know she’ll do great things.