Senior Graphic Designer
One of the leading hands-on science museums in the nation, Discovery Place brings science, nature, and design together to create transformative experiences that enable the community to understand, enjoy, and apply science to their lives. Through four museums, Discovery Place Science in Uptown, Discovery Place Nature, Discovery Place Kids Huntersville and Discovery Place Kids Rockingham, plus virtual and in-person learning experiences outside of our Museums, Discovery Place is a leader in science education. Discovery Place serves over 750,000 people a year, shaping a future where people embrace science to create opportunities, build hope, solve problems and bring positive change for our world.
We are looking for a talented and innovative designer to manage the visual brand identity of Discovery Place, develop concepts and produce all designs used for marketing and promotional purposes presented through visual communications media such as digital, social media, print, outdoor, signage and print collateral. The ideal candidate has advanced design skills and experience on brand projects.
This is not a remote-only position. Portfolio is required.
• Produce concepts and manage design implementation for all Discovery Place marketing campaigns and special exhibition promotions. Generate ideas and design solutions. Develop original creative. Help define the creative vision for Discovery Place brand and marketing campaigns
• Oversee all marketing design projects, from concept to delivery. Manage, schedule and prioritize production of all marketing creative including digital, social, print, outdoor, signage and collateral
• Support strategic brand projects to advance/evolve the Discovery Place brand and support Discovery Place strategic initiatives. Help manage design agencies as needed
• Responsible for protecting Discovery Place visual brand identities and brand integrity. Maintain and advocate brand standards across all Discovery Place platforms
• Collaborate closely with marketing Content and Digital teams to develop visual elements in support of strategic priorities across all marketing vehicles and channels
• Serve as inhouse creative resource, providing a top-level of design and creative implementation to internal clients
• Collaborate with teams across the organization and at each Museum to translate Museum experiences and initiatives into compelling visual design. Coordinate with exhibit/experience design and exhibition teams
• Provide creative direction for photography and videography, supporting as needed
• Manage print vendors. Create finished art work files and prepare instructions for printers or installers. Review proofs as needed. Supervise other vendors such as sign installers. Oversee production and installation process. Responsible for quality control and press checks as needed
• Maintain files of logos, photos and project artwork and other source materials
• Manage freelance designers as needed
• Must have 5+ years of professional design experience with a strong understanding of industry trends and creative tools, including Adobe Creative Suite.
• Experience in digital design is required. Website CMS preferred
• Must be able to listen to and collaborate with internal clients and effectively implement feedback
• Bachelor’s degree in graphic design or a related field is required
• Must have experience managing the production of print projects
• Must be able to juggle multiple projects at the same time and complete projects on time and budget
• Self-directed with problem-solving skills
• Ability to work some evenings and weekends, as workflow requires
We are currently working in a hybrid model. This position is in the office several days a week, with opportunities for remote work. This is not a remote-only position.