A new bar called Rumaway Cove will open inside the forthcoming Refuge hotel on Central Avenue in early September.
The pop-up project, from the team behind the under-construction Royal Tot, will be open for at least two months. It will close after the Royal Tot opens later this fall.
Meanwhile, the Refuge hotel is now accepting reservations for stays starting September 1.
What to expect: Like the highly anticipated Royal Tot bar, Rumaway Cove will serve a tropical-inspired menu.
- The cocktail program will offer classic tropical drinks like a Mai Tai and a Painkiller, plus speciality creations from beverage director Larry Suggs. One stand-out is called “The Happiest Hour,” which comes with coconut-infused rum, passion fruit, hibiscus tea, cinnamon, citrus and sparkling wine.
- To eat, expect dishes like smoked fish dip and Spam grilled cheese, as well as caviar and ceviche tastings on weekends. Food is provided via Paper Plane Deli and Market.
- One piece of bad news: No Dole whip, yet. You’ll have to wait for The Royal Tot to open for that.
Background: A rooftop bar in the Belmont neighborhood, The Royal Tot is the latest concept from the Charlotte-based ETA Group, which also owns Stroke in Plaza Midwood. The Royal Tot is currently looking at a late 2021 opening timeline, aiming for October or November.
- But ETA’s Scott and Ashleigh Gadd wanted to bring the tropics to Charlotte as early as possible.
Hours: Rumaway Cove will be open 5pm-12am on Wednesday through Friday and 3pm-2am on Saturday.
- Reservations will be available via The Royal Tot’s website and priority will be given to members of the bar’s rum club program (details here!).
Location: 1101 Central Ave. in Plaza Midwood.