A new pizza restaurant and bar called Rocket Pizza is now open in Wesley Heights within walking distance to Bank of America Stadium.
The big picture: Rocket Pizza has ambitious expansion plans with four more Charlotte area locations in the works, co-owners Bart Baker and Casey McCormick tell me.
- Next up, they’ll open a Rocket Pizza on The Plaza, and then they hope to expand to SouthPark, Concord and Mooresville.
What to expect: “The focus is fun,” Baker says. From the aquarium tank built into the bar to the space-themed cocktails, that emphasis is clear.
- There are 10 beers on draft and a number of signature cocktails like Orion’s Belt ($12), which comes with glitter in the drink.
- The pizza menu includes 11 varieties, plus a build-your-own option.
About the pizza: The pizza is McCormick’s recipe adapted from a New Haven-style pie with thin crust and the cheese cooked on top of the ingredients.
- I tried four pizzas, and my favorites were the meat lovers ($19-$23) and BBQ chicken ($17-$21).
- Another stand-out is the taco pizza ($21-$25), served with ground beef, lettuce, onions, tomatoes and just about everything else you’d find on a taco.
[Related Axios guide: 23 best pizza spots in Charlotte]
Location: 1213 W. Morehead St.
Hours: 11am-10pm on Sunday-Thursday and 11am-11pm on Friday-Saturday.