Senior Marketing Director of Program Experience
Under the direction of the Vice President of Marketing and consistent with the Christian mission of the YMCA, the Senior Marketing Director for Program Experience will lead marketing strategy and execution of key association programs including day camp (camp marketing and counselor recruitment), afterschool/preschool, youth and adult sports (soccer, basketball, flag football, etc.), aquatics (lessons, lifeguard recruiting, swim team) as well as impact programs including Y Readers, Y Achievers, Level Up and Safety Around Water (SAW).
This position will work in close collaboration with organizational leadership to develop and implement cohesive, high-quality and measurable marketing and communication strategies that include paid mass media, digital, web, social media, collateral and merchandizing to drive organizational growth.
• Act as a trusted advisor bringing value to the business through a strong commitment to success, consistent performance and the ability to develop a wide range of ideas and solutions
• Provide strategic leadership and in-depth knowledge of the key business lines, competitive considerations and industry trends
• Anticipate potential issues, advise association leadership and partners and effectively connect with branches and association leaders
• Build relationships and confidence with association leadership and branch teams through high-quality work and execution, on-site presence and scheduled meetings and updates; effectively balance the dual expectations of the branches and the Association
• Attend and contribute to key meetings in the branch, community and Association and lead and/or serve on appropriate committees and sub-committees as determined by the supervisor
Staff leadership & development
• Outline expectations, coordinate and monitor the work of the Program Experience marketing team
• Effectively assign, delegate, coordinate and monitor the work of the Program Experience marketing team handling multiple projects efficiently, effectively and productively
• Establish rapport and trust with a range of staff leadership, identifying team and project needs, remaining open to considering multiple points-of-view
• Provide a model for leadership by being prepared and proactive, thorough and accurate
Strategic marketing and project leadership
• Collaborate with the Y Association teams and branches to develop integrated marketing and communication plans and campaigns that drive program growth, program retention and member participation.
• Closely partner with the association marketing teams (member experience, impact and development and digital) to strategically align messaging and communication and leverage cross-promotion opportunities.
• Help inform and execute a strategic, measurable digital integration strategy that leverages and drives a high-quality member connection continuum specific to driving program revenue, retention and participation.
• Lead and manage creation of high-quality, targeted materials and messaging and ensure YUSA brand standards (voice, messaging) are met.
• Manage project processes and timelines to ensure marketing work stays on track.
• Develop and manage administrative budgets.
• Develop, create and edit high-quality content in a timely way, within brand standards that is appropriate to specific marketing channels.
• Work with Marketing and Communications teams to develop strategic stories and coverage opportunities for local media.
• Partner with branch directors and the Association Office/Y Experience to help manage communication, input and insight to strengthen marketing and programming
• Attend and support branch and Association events, as appropriate
• Accurately ascertain association priorities for program experience and effectively communicate them to the creative, digital and other appropriate departments and/or staff leaders
• Lead production of materials thorough, accurate and consistent work to the branches that reflects the quality standards of the Association and YUSA
• Perform other special projects as assigned
• Prepare accurate and timely internal communications: creative briefs, media plan requests, timelines and estimates
• 4 year degree in Marketing, Advertising, Business Management or applicable degree
• Minimum of 10 years of professional experience including supervision of full and part-time staff
• Proven experience managing multiple long and short-term projects
• Established expertise leading and executing marketing strategies for a diverse client group
• Demonstrated expertise in, and knowledge of, major marketing disciplines including digital, email, website, graphic design and print production
• Successful experience developing and managing a budget
• Proven track record of creating and managing short and long term goals and LDPs (leadership development plans) for full and part-time staff
• Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office products suite and the ability to become proficient in Association-specific software applications
• Proven ability to manage competing demands and priorities
• Strong analytical skills with demonstrated ability in process improvement, problem-solving and adaptability
• Recognized understanding of how to handle sensitive and confidential information appropriately
• Demonstrated ability to flex approach and work style in fast-paced environments
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Superior organizational skills, attention to detail and time management
• Strong facilitation skills with the ability to follow processes
• Ability to work with varying levels of leadership
• Positive attitude, outstanding work ethic, a strong sense of urgency and commitment to results
• Self starter with the ability to handle ambiguity and willingness to accept additional responsibility
YMCA competencies (Multi-team or branch leader):
• Mission Advancement: Reinforces the Y’s values within the organization and the community. Effectively communicates the benefits and impact of the YMCA’s efforts for all stakeholders. Implements effective systems to develop volunteers at program, fundraising, and policy leadership levels. Secures resources and support for all philanthropic endeavors
• Collaboration: Develops strategies to ensure staff and volunteers reflect the community. Builds and nurtures strategic relationships to enhance support for the YMCA. Serves as a community leader building collaborations based on trust and credibility to advance YMCA mission and goals. Communicates for influence to attain buy-in and support of goals. Provides tools and resources for the development of others
• Operational Effectiveness: Integrates multiple thinking processes to make decisions. Involves members and the community in the development of programs and activities. Ensures execution of plans. Institutes sound accounting procedures, investment policies and financial controls. Assigns clear accountability and ensures continuous improvement
• Personal Growth: Fosters a learning environment embracing diverse abilities and approaches. Creates a sense of urgency and positive tension to support change. Anticipates challenges that can sidetrack or derail growth and personal learning. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology
• Sit for extended periods of time
• Push, pull, and lift up to 30 lbs
• Ability to work in excess of a 40 hour week with irregular work hours
• Ability to speak concisely and effectively communicate
• Ability to travel as needed
• Ability to communicate in English, written and oral